cancellations

Paul305
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

cancellations

Hello!

I am a former superhost but I have never needed to cancel on a guest. From time to time I will rent out rooms in our 3br condo in Aspen.

I currently have a guest confirmed for Labor Day weekend; however, my mother just told me that she wanted to use the condo. She will be recovering from knee replacement surgery so she is not even sure if she will be able to go. If she goes (about 50/50 at this point) I will need to cancel my guests reservations. If she doesn't go I will be able to honor said reservation.

Should I cancel now (5 months in advance) or should I wait and see what my mother's plans will be?  I should know within a few weeks before Labor Day weekend if she intends to make the trip. 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paul305  Aspen over Labor Day weekend probably gets booked up pretty full. I think it would be quite rude to wait until a few weeks before this reservation to cancel it. The guest may not be able to find anything else on that short notice that isn't way more expensive. 

If there's a posibility that you might cancel it for your mom, cancel it now.

You do know that if you cancel a reservation, Airbnb will block those dates and you won't be able to rebook them, right? So if your mother doesn't take it, it will be empty over Labor Day, unless you book it through another platform.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Can your Mother not delay her arrival or make alternative arrangements should she in fact be able to go? Have you discussed this possibility with her? A Spa break might suit the predicament more.