claim

Gail-And-Doug0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

claim

I requested money from my guest for extra cleaning services because they brought a dog to the condo, against my house rules.

My cleaner had to spend extra time cleaning, removing hairs and doing extra laundry because they brought a dog.

The guest has not responded to my request for money.

Not sure what to do. 

Doesnt Airbnb hold their deposit? 

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Gail-And-Doug0,

Airbnb does not actually charge the deposit from the guest at time of booking. When you want to make a claim on the deposit there are strict rules for it:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Gail-And-Doug0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

If I make a request for additional funds, I thought the guest is obligated to reply. So my next step is to go through the claim process if I don't get a reply from the guest?

Emiel1
Level 10

@Gail-And-Doug0,

No, the guest is not obliged to reply. There is a 72 hours time limit, after that you can involve Airbnb.

See also:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place?

Best regards,

Emiel

Gail-And-Doug0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Thank you kindly for your assistance. I will involve Airbnb. Do you recommend adding a Security Deposit requirement when people book? Is it a deterrant?

Emiel1
Level 10

@Gail-And-Doug0,

I see you have  a CAD 200,- deposit on your listing. Obviously it did not prevent the guest of breaking your houserules. I fear Airbnb will not award your claim, unless you can show them an invoice for the extra cleaning and be very persistant. But please let us know the outcome !

Best regards,

Emiel

Gail-And-Doug0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Thank you I will

I heard back from Air Bnb a day after I requested their assistance on my claim. The sent a nice email saying they are processing my refund and to expect it within a few days! No further questions or anything, I was very happy with the prompt reply and the outcome.

Jan809
Level 2
Hattiesburg, MS

What happened?  I have a similar problem....guests left my place in a horrible condition.  There were stains on the carpet; large coffee stains on a comforter; a damaged remote to a TV, and other issues.  It took me 4 EXTRA hours to clean it for the next guests.  I haven't requested a claim on their deposit yet because I want to make sure that I handle things the right way.  Did Airbnb support you as a host in receiving your deposit?  I've contacted Airbnb and am waiting to hear back.  This experience makes me want to quit hosting.  

HI Jan,  This similar thing happened to my place last week.  Were you able to get any $ back?  I was denied the portion of my claim for extra cleaning.  AIRBNB said they don't cover extra cleaning under the "host guarantee" because it is not a "damage".

Sandra3560
Level 1
Keaau, HI

I have a non-smoking facility. The guest smoked pot in bed.!

I have a claim pending for over 1 month now. I was initially told I didn't file the claim in time, but when I pointed out I filed within 10 days, they then  said I didn't file before the next guest checked in so I wasn't eligible for damages. Since the next guest was scheduled the day after the offending party checked out, I didn't have time to get the receipts and everything to send in fast enough. In other words, they will not stand behind their guarantee even though I got the photos and receipts, together within 10 days. Since the next guest checked in right after the offending one left, there was not enough time to do the cleaning, replace the topper, etc. to file before that happened.

I had to replace the bed topper because it was foam and a total loss. After removing the bed linens, towels, rugs, drapes, placemats, and fumigating the entire room because the smell would not leave the mattress, and using special odor removing agents on all the cloth, I got rid of the smell. I'm a super host and I have upheld my end of the bargain with Airbnb. They have not upheld their end of the bargain with me!! I was reluctant to take on hosting because I feared damage to my property, but thought their insurance would cover it. They have chosen to not pay me even the $275 I requested. I feel like I could have lost my house due to this guest smoking in bed and Airbnb won't even pay me the $275 I lost. I could have lost my life!!! I'm checking out VRBO.