claiming deposit

Jeanne214
Level 2
United Kingdom

claiming deposit

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone else agrees with me that a week is too short to claim the money back from deposit?

We don't live full time in the house we rent, so sometimes it takes us weeks to realise that something is damaged or broken.

People never tell us when they damage something, and we usually discover it when other guests complain about things not working. Or when we come into the house and start making a list of all the things broken or not properly looked after. Then it is too late to ask for a refund.

In the past, we had to replace a fridge, a sofa, a chair...not to mention all the kitchenwear that regularly gets broken (what do people do with glasses, bottle openers, chopping boards, to mention just a few??).

I wonder if anyone else thinks like me. Because if we are enough hosts wishing to change the rule, then maybe airbnb would listen to us and make the delay for claims longer?

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Jeanne0I suppose you have never filed  a claim against the 'deposit' of an Airbnb guest, which are not actually collected upfront, in the first place. The whole process may dissapoint you. With Airbnb hosting, prevention may be the way to go.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

It’s worse than you think. There is no abb deposit. But really it is on you to verify the status of your property immediately 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Jeanne214  Can you possibly make arrangement with some one to check on the place after every guest leaves. It would probably give you the option to bill guests asap for any damage noted. Though actually getting paid from AirBnB is very difficult if the guests do not admit to the damage as the others have said the deposit is never actually charged to them. 

Jeanne214
Level 2
United Kingdom

I'd love to think that each time I am prepared for possible damages, I have now covered my house with notes asking people to pay attention and to signal any damage so people after them could benefit from the same quality of accomodation!

We have someone to check after each rent, but difficult to check every piece of furniture or equipment in the house. This time, it was the tennis table that got damaged, and simply folded back so we couldn't notice it at first...

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jeanne214

as far as I know (Airbnb is constantly changing so I am not sure if I am right) we have 2 weeks for a damage claim ... or.... until the next guest arrives, whatever is sooner.

With back to back bookings and just a few hours between guests it 's a lot of stress 😞