guest misunderstood check in times

Anaïs13
Level 2
El Prat de Llobregat, Spain

guest misunderstood check in times

Hi there! I had a situation with a guest
A young woman, who booked for 8th-9th August, misunderstood our check in times. We are available for checkin from 13pm and we are flexible with late check in because of typical flight delays. What she understood is that if she booked for the 8th she would be able to check in at the very start of that day (00.30h am of the 8th)
I tried to explain to her that she should have booked for the 7th-8th and if she is leaving on the 9th she should have booked another night (8th-9th)
Although my rooms are fully booked I arranged a bed in my office so she could have some rest tonight (went to ikea quickly to buy it specially for her). The thing is, she is not willing to pay for a second night even though she is staying here, what can I do? and how can I prevent this from happening? most of my guest never read my description or house rules

9 Replies 9
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

It doesn't matter that the guest misunderstands. What matters is the guest must adhere to the listing's checkin/checkout times. In NO PLACE does AirBnB state the guest can stay the DAY BEFORE, the DAY OF & the DAY FOLLOWING the listing for the price of one day.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

agree with @Jann3 - a host can not be responsible for whatever a guest think or imagine

@Anaïs13

I honestly think that guest is scamming you. There is no such hotel or guesthouse or accomodation that allows people to stay from the start of the day from 00:00 to 24:00 like she claims. If she does not want to pay, I would ask her to leave immediately. Inform Airbnb about the guest "claiming" to have misunderstood the check in/out times and have them contact your guest to tell her to leave. 

This is not just about "not reading house rules" but if this type of occurance happens repeatedly, one thing you could do is have a SAVED message which you send to all guests informing them about check-in times and some of the key house rules. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Nobost can be that stupid surely, I think you are being taken for a ride.

David
Valerie213
Level 1
East London, South Africa

A guest just informed me that she can choose a check in time on the site while booking.Is that so?can result in chaos!!on our side the house rules state that check out time is 10h00 and check in 14h00.

@Valerie213 No, I ask my guests what time they expect to arrive during my check in period.

David
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Anaïs13 same for me - most guests don't read the house rules, the listing and my welcome message. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Anaïs13  Your check in time of "anytime after 1 PM"  is because you are trying to be flexible for your travealers but did you know that check in time options go to 1 AM?  I didn't.  Anyway, perhaps it would be clearer if you put a time limit such as 9PM and then if outside of that the guest has to prearrange with you.  You have 3 listings and 110+ reviews so you are quite experienced but it seems as if this off the wall argument caught you off guard and you accommodated this guest.

While a traveler cannot search for check in time per se, they can search for self check in which is anytime.

Anais, your review of the guest in question was fairly mild so you have essentially recommended this guest to other hosts.  Is that your intention?  If so I would imagine you don't agree with those hosts who believe you have been scammed.

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi

I work all day, so I state that my check in is after 7Pm. On weekends I am flexible,but there is no way to put that on the website.

I do not accept instant booking.

So when I receive a request, I ALWAYS ask the guest what time they are arriving, and I point out that check in is after 7pm, and ask if that would be a problem.

I work in central London, so they can meet them there, I keep their suitcases in my office, if that is an option.

The point is that I keep a recorded interaction about chek in time before accepting the booking.