hosting

Cynthia206
Level 2
Castle Rock, CO

hosting

Smells like a scam to me and I am wondering if others have encountered simiular situations as a host?

Oct 10th - inquiry for a month stay. Women stating she is traveling from NY and needs oncology/hematology care in my area (she had been living in my area). I reply that the full month is not available and dates are booked. 

Nov 4th - Books available 12 days and states she has a service dog and will be in area for a month. She provides information along with an image of her dog & herself. Stating will pay for damages by the dog. Note: no deposit for service dogs. I approve her stay @ 09:46.  At 12:56 reservation canceled with message stating that she can no longer receive treatment here and is going into hospice. Saying she can't afford my place but she really wants to go home. 

I am a nurse and people don't go from planning oncology/hematology visits to 3 hours later entering hospice. Her image taken 1 week ago did not show a severly ill person.

Has anyone had to deal with a Extenuating Circumstances refund? 

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

As she cancelled herself, you did not wasted any money from this reservation.

I hope you can find another guest soon for this period.

So why the question about Extenuating Circumstances refund ?

If applicable,it would only refund your guest the cancelation costs, on her request.

And yes, even not being a nurse, it is a strange story to me also.

Best regards,

Emiel

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Cynthia206,  Sick people don't always 'look' sick, and situations can change quickly. 

Opting out for this kind of reason is reason to ask for a note from the doctor.  Perfectly normal procedure, and AirBnB requires it.  I've had to do it myself.  Shouldn't be a big deal.

Best,

Kim
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Not much lost, but a few hours; much gained if she was a fruitcake. I would consider myself lucky.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If she wants to make an extenuating circumstances claim then nothing to do with you between her and ABB.

I think you dodged a bullet.

David