house rules

Elisa73
Level 2
Breckenridge, CO

house rules

Hi!  I noticed that on some people's listings, they created their own house rules rather than using the house rules that are pre-programmed.  I would like to do this as well.  However, I can't figure out how.  The house rules make me check Yes or No to specific items.  If I click No, they automatically show up on my listing under house rules.  If I click yes, they do not show up under house rules, but then that answer changes my ammenities.  Is there something I'm missing?  I would like to basically hide the house rules, but I still don't want certain items to show up as an ammenity.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

9 Replies 9
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Elisa73 On my listing (I'm using Google Chrome) under Booking I have the ability to expand on my House Rules. It has all the Yes / No options but then I also have Additional House Rules. Do you not have that option?

Hi Clare!  Thanks for the help.  Yes…I have the ability to write in additional house rules.  The issue I’m running into is that I don’t want to use the default rules to show up on my listing.  For instance, I don’t want the house rules to say “Not Child-Friendly (2-12 years)” so I don’t mark no there.  However, if I don’t mark no, then my amenities show my place as Child/Kid Friendly which I don’t want either.  So I’m wondering if there is a way to “hide” the default house rules and still have the amenities show correctly.  Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

@Elisa73 Oh dear! You are caught in the middle, I'm afraid.  So where do you really stand with children?  I suppose you can say yes  or no to children then clarify in your house rules, but that's going to cause some confusion.  You'll have to screen guests with children carefully to meet your requirements, whatever they are. What exactly is your policy with children?

Hi Clare.  That was just an example.  I noticed on other people's listings they were able to not have it show in the default house rules as they wrote their own, but it was crossed off in the ammenities section. For instance, my HOA does not allow pets.  I want to phrase the No Pets thing a bit differently than just saying no pets.  Therefore, it's repetitive if it says No Pets and then I write it in my own language so I don't want the default "no pets" to show.  However, if I don't click on NO to Pets, then it comes up as okay under my ammenities.  Not sure if I'm making sense on all that.  But I noticed that people were able to do it on other listings, so I thought maybe I was missing something.  I've attached an example.  See how it doesn't say anything about kids under the house rules, but Family/Kid friendly is crossed out under ammenities?  How do I do that?  Thanks!Screenshot 2016-06-30 20.57.10.png

Thanks,

Elisa

@Elisa73 It is my understanding that the yes / no questions have been rolled out to all hosts.  I would very much like to see a listing where this isn't the case.  

This is an effort on Airbnb's part to for guests  be able to search quickly for listings that suit their needs.  Most guests don't read the fine print in the House Rules that hosts write since, depending on the host, they can evolve into lengthy dissertations.  If I am a guest that has a children or pets, I want to know which listings accept them and don't want to waste my time reading through host house rules that say, "yes but... "

I understand that you don't want to be put in a box either way but I'm afraid you'll need to make a decision one way or another and then explain in your House Rules what your gray area is.  I have a No Pets policy, but I still got a reservation request from a woman who has a Service Dog for medical reasons and I still accepted her reservation.  I've also gotten requests from people with small children despite the fact that my listing is not Family Friendly.  So if a guest really wants your place, they'll ask. 

Could you provide an example of a listing that doesn't have these yes/no options checked?

Thanks for your input Clare. Very much appreciated and that all makes sense!

The reason this others don't have this is because airbnb recently made it as a list - before you just wrote what you wanted to write, and not everyone has started using the new way 🙂 

Thank you!  That answers my question and totally makes sense.  I appreciate your response!!!!

Helen82
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Good luck with the house rules. I have NO MINORS on mine. I also elaborate why no parties and such so ppl aren't tempted to break the rules thinking it might be ok just once, or maybe because I am just being finicky. No, there's actual good reason for this. You can also see I make it clear my home is best suited as a base, not as a lounge around (I mean it's fine, and I really don't care how you come or go, I'm trying to get a subtle point across that you go out to do loud things, make sense?) Good luck!

No smoking
No parties or events
Not child-friendly (0-12 years)
Check-in time is 4PM - 10PM.

No smoking. Vapes are fine. If you do smoke, there is an outside area and underground available. Pets must be screened. Because this is a residential space no loud parties. This space is ideal for a quiet holiday, or if you will be pubbing and doing craft tours, or hitting the beach and coming back. NO MINORS. This is an adult oriented building.