how long does a guest have to make payment after a reservation?

how long does a guest have to make payment after a reservation?

Hi,

I have had a reservation (and accepted it) and it is blocked out in my calendar. It says awaiting payment.

It's been awaiting payment for about 18 hours, and I have other people enquire about that time.

How long do guests have to make payment and is the reservation secured even though they haven't paid?

Thanks

4 Replies 4
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Good question!

Airbnb bills the guest for the reservation as soon as they make the reservation, so if you see "awaiting payment" , this suggests that there was a problem in the payment going through, such as -- credit card that guest tried to use has expired, or bank account has insufficient funds, or credit card limit is exceeded,etc.  So then my understanding is that Airbnb gives the guest time to finish the process or resolve the issue, while holding the reservation for them (if the corresponding dates are blocked on your calendar, you can see that the reservation is being held for them). I do not know the amount of time guest is given to complete payment.... I believe guest is given 12 hrs to finish verification when that needs to be done, but not sure about time given to complete payment.  If you want to free your calendar for someone else to book, you would need to call AIrbnb customer service.  

Thanks - that's very helpful!

I have guests who want to extend their stay  and tell me that they have booked tonight as well.  What does a "P" mean on my calendar please?  They also want to book for yet another night following.    I am happy to take the extra two nights but am not sure of the procedure, especially as I am listed as needing 24 hours notice, which obviously doesn't count in this circumstance.

Hoping someone can advise please.

Elaine.

Go into the guest booking and look for the words "Change or Cancel" and you'll see a screen with all the details.   If the guest wants to extend the stay (or shorten the stay), simply put in the new date.  In this case you'll put in the new CHECK OUT date, and then go to the TOTAL $ and change the price to reflect the new total.   The total $ does not always automatically update so make sure that you double check this box carefully.

I use the "change or cancel" function all the time to alter the booking.   I use it if someone asks me to extend the stay, I also use it to charge extra in situations where there are extra guests for some of the days but not for all of the days, and I've also used this process to charge for broken wineglasses.   As long as the guest stay is active, ie not yet checked out, you can alter the booking.    Once you alter the booking, a "request for approval" is sent to the guest and they must ok the change.  Then you are sent a new confirmation email.

I used this just yesterday, as I welcomed a group and they showed up with two extra guests.   I think they were thinking that they would be sneaky (I charge an extra guest fee).  I didn't even blink an eye, I just said Hi Alexis, welcome.  I see you have two extra guests, no problem I will just submit a booking alteration to correct the guest count right now and you can approve it asap, then I stood there and waited for him to approve the change to the total, and only then did I leave.