infant booking

infant booking

Hi Community I have an instant booking for 2 adults and 2 children one five and one one year old.  The guests have booked as 2 persons plus one child and one infant but have only paid for 2 persons.  I have asked them to change their booking to four persons and said I will be providing beds and linen for the children and will have to clean for four also breakfast supplies.  I am not sure how a booking for 2 adults and 2 children can come through as 2 persons. I have asked the guests to change their booking but this did not sit well with me would you have done the same.  Cleaning up after 2 children I think warrants a 4 person booking.  The guest has just emailed and said they were following airbnb rules and put one child and one infant can anyone help please

6 Replies 6

I have a problem with infants. I set up "not suitable for infants". I assume that Airbnb automatically block any infant. Several of my guests are still abe to book with infants. 

Nikki4
Level 6
SF, CA

Hello all,

I am dealing with this exact situation right now.

A family of 4 Instant Booked my 4 bedroom house (sleeps up to 11 people), for 1 month in June/July.  

Because they have a 2 year old, they are only paying for 3 people, even though the "infant" (a strapping 23.5 month boy who will be running all around the house, making messes and getting into the playroom toys), will be usng utilities  just like his older sibling, not to mention using our toddler air bed which I will have to set up especially for him.

I am upset because this is high season for me, and the house is only going for $290/night, when it should be going for at least $350/night in summer, and now its booked for a whole month!

Because they are only paying for 3 people, I am missing out on the extra $40/night that I expected.  

I think Airbnb needs to change its platform!  "Infants" should be babies under 1 year.  I am happy for babies to stay for free, but 2 year olds are not babies!  They are mobile and can make terrific messes, and are actually a lot more work than older kids.

This is so frustrating.  Airbnb, please change your "infants" policy.  

Airbnb should allow you to charge for infants and children the same way you can do on booking and homeaway it should be the hosts option to set a rate.  Of course now everyone booking with children will be upset when the reservation cost goes up  by submitting an alteration, itwill be one more extra thing to deal with where you calendar will be blocked losing other potential bookings while you sort it out.

you can charge for infants if you specify that in your House Rules, meaning that any guests regardless of age, are considered extra guests

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

Surely if you expected to get $350 a night then that should be your minimum rate regardless of number of guests? I appreciate that you have some extra work to set up the toddler bed, but if they weren't bringing the toddler you would still only get $290 a night.