minimum stays

Patrick1345
Level 2
Livermore, NH

minimum stays

Do most people use variable or fixed minimum stays?

Our townhouse is 2 hours away and we clean it ourselves, so I just want to see what others do.

8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Patrick1345 

I don't know how you intend to manage your Airbnb 2 hours away and clean by yourself... wouldn't it be cheaper to hire someone to clean than to drive for 4 hours for each turnover? It depends on the type of your unit and the location and season but you should try 1 week min if possible.

we have 2 nights minimum. Unfortunately, our city is oversaturated with STRs and it is a transit destination so we can't afford longer min stay. The majority of hosts in our area have 1-night minimum.

Sometimes if we have a 1-night gap between bookings and we have time, we allow 1-nighters but with our cleaning fee added we are obviously too expensive.

I have hired a local woman to help with cleaning. The drive is too much to do each time.. 

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Patrick1345  Ya sounds like hiring a cleaner would be a good idea! 

My unit is in my basement and we allow  one night stays (and I LOVE the one nighters!!!) LOL. But I could see why that would not be a great option for you if you had to drive that far. 

You could always try a 3 night minimum and see how you find it with the cleaning. And then you will know if you want to hire a cleaner or not.

Best of luck! 🐵

Thanks for the comment.  I did hire a cleaner for quick turnovers to help a bit .

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I don't have a minimum or maximum. I am 1.5 hours away and I clean it myself, and I don't want a restriction so I come up in more searches. It's far and takes time, but it's not the worst. I recommend making the cleaning fee higher to encouraging longer stays, but a guest wants what they want. I started my cleaning fee as $50, but raised it to $100 and got more 2-3 day bookings. I do eventually need to hire some help, but it's nerve wracking for me to let anyone else do it right now.

I have the cleaning fee at $150 and lower per night fees.  It seems to help.  I did hire someone to do some cleaning,  but I like knowing exactly how I left it when I clean.  

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

We have a 2 night minimum.  It can take up to 2 hours to turn over the apartment.  Longer if guests sleep on top of our comforters and we have 3 more loads of wash to do.  We live on site and it can be a lot of up and down the stairs for us especially if we forget something.  When guests stay 3 days or more it feels like heaven not to have to clean for that 1 extra day.  No cleaning fee here either.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

2 night minimum because I don't want to be a maid too often. I believe the 2 night minimum can also weed out problem guests who might destroy the place, run their drug dealing operation for a night, etc. Sure those 1 nighters would fill up the unbooked nights, but I'm not shooting for 95% occupancy. Just earning a little extra income.