my guest didn't arrive

my guest didn't arrive

Hello,

i have just started with airbnb and have no experience, please, help me. I recieved my first reservation and confirmed it. On the due date i emailed my guest asking him about arrival time. The guest didn't reply and didn't arrive either. He didn't cancel his reservation. Please, let me know what should i do in this situation. Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Ona7 This happened to me about a year and a half ago. You don't say when they were supposed to check in, or how long they were supposed to stay, but here's what I did, and it worked out for me.

Message the guest on Airbnb messenger, if you haven't already. You can also try calling them, but make sure that there is a record of you contacing them through the messenger app specifically, so Airbnb has a record of it if the guest requests a refund. If it's been more than a day since they were supposed to check in, I would message Airbnb and let them know that you guest was a no-show. Explain that you haven't been able to contact them, and express concern for the wellbeing of your guest. They will likely try and contact the guest to find out what's happening. Maybe the guest will respond, or maybe they won't, but at least you've shown that you're taking action to try and assist them.

If the guest does respond, I personally wouldn't offer them a refund, as they have blocked your calendar and they should have cancelled if they're not coming. However, as you're a new host and the guest will still be able to review you, I would consider giving them one if they ask for it: reviews are critical when you're new. This is assuming that the stay was short and they weren't holding your calendar hostage for multiple nights.

In my case, the guest never turned up or cancelled and never asked for refund. I kept the money. They also never reviewed me. Fingers crossed that your experience will be the same.

Hello, Alexandra316,

thank you so much for such a detailed answer! You helped me a lot 🙂

@Ona7 Glad to hear it! I hope everything turned out okay.

@Ona7    Whatever you do, do not cancel and do not click yes if you receive an email from airbnb asking you if you want to, it is interpreted as you cancelling and  you will be heavily penalized.  Leave it alone if you get no reply from him, if he cancels and puts in for a refund let Airbnb take care of it according to your policy  they have his fee. Never refund anything yourself, neither check nor cash.  If Airbnb ask you to refund him just say no. Hopefully you will get the same result as @Alexandra316  and get paid with no problems unless he puts in for extenuating circumstances asap. Good luck!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

DO NOTHING and let the money flow into your bank account.

Cha-Ching!

Don't spend the money tho, cuz there's a possibility that guest will complain/lie and Airbnb may refund them.

Good luck