not following rules and disrupting sleep

Nicki5
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

not following rules and disrupting sleep

Have a guest from out of country  15 days and it's for one room only within my home. I have three rooms and two are standard and third one has a table and tv couch area within it for a higher price. Upon check in he said he'd like to take his 6 very large suitcases to his room directly from the front door and I informed him that he cannot wear shoes from outside in my home. He then wanted to store the large suitcases in my entrance area for the say and I said no. I gave him a tour and explained the rules ( shoes already addressed) then about kitchen use and the expectations that he clean up after himself leaving the room as he found it,  door locking, cats stay in the house ( obviously with several potential guests it has to be this way in a small gally kitchen)  he wants to just use my living room and tv whenever and I say it's not included in the price. It says no TV on the ad. I don't have cable and don't give access to my Netflix and because if guests want this they book the room with the tv! He asked what food I provide and I knew he had not read anything in the ad.   During the tour I tell him about locking the doors at all times and lights not to be left on as per the poster in the room, not to let the cats out and that after 7 day stay he can use the washer.  Day one he wants to use the washer and I say again that that's not within the rules,  He leaves the door unlocked while I am alone. (minutes after I say again to lock the door) Day two he lets the cat out.  The asks what he should do when that happens, and I say you DO NOT let it happen!  ( they aren't that fast but he stands with the door open getting ready)Day two I find him on my carpets in his shoes and give a terse reminder to get off and that all the rocks on the walk from winter would damage my hard wood! Day three he leaves the house then comes back and rings the door bell moments later, this goes on as I am about to shower then stands waiting for me to open the door "he forgot something"- I come down and ask does he have a key ? Yes- tell him to use his key and not expect me to open the door in future.  Day 3 he is also leaving food reminants and wet pots and pans around the kitchen counters all day. And despite a poster saying DO NOT leave lights on when not in the room he leaves his on for 8 hours during the day while out . I address this that evening and he tells me it's because his light is too dim so he didn't notice it on ( Its full sun daytime why is it even on!!) Now rather than appologise he wants the hall to have a light on all night. He cannot see without his glasses and he says he does not turn on his room light. He wants a light reconnected that is not on way down the hall that was disconected so I can run the fan without the other light on I don't even now what he asks for this. The functioning hall light is 2 feet directly from his room and is a pull cord on the fan. he says he's afraid of he fan that he's actually too short to reach anyway and the cord is on a long chain.  He says this is too much light on the fan light and wants me to add a small lamp and again asks that the other light is reconnected. I finally say that I am not paying for the exra light all night and altering my home just because he refuses to put on his glasses and use his room light.  Day three at 330 am he starts showering and bathing for over an hour and banging around in the bathroom so loud that I cannot sleep then speaker phone calls and yells to it in the kitchen at 6 am and I work the next day. Day 4 I tell him that that amount of noise in the middle of the night is not acceptable and this is not the hours of a business stay ( which he presented himself as from the first contact) I say I had less than 4 hours of sleep and had to go to work then ask if this is his regular hours and he said no it is not.  I say the noise is very loud when it's in the middle of the night and that room is next to mine so I don't want that repeated. The next days he leaves lights on constantly turns them on leaves the area and goes to make dinner walking by the switch to turn off while in the kitchen and leaves pots and pans out even more. Day 5 he says he wants to do laundry I say I am doing it so it's not available because he used towels from the bathroom rather than the towels I provided and I had to wash them for the new guest. He has 4 towels in his room and helps himself to three more.  Then at 445 am he takes a call on his cell on speaker walking around the halls with it on talking loudly at it in his hand and goes into the bathroom and continues yelling to the phone - the same bathroom that is next to mine. I get up bang the door and tell him this is not acceptable ! This is the second night that he disrupted my sleep and I am not having it. Right then I write that in our messages and that I am going to end his stay if this continues. If the other guest arrives today ( I advised him was coming earlier and that he would have to share the bathroom) If he does this, that guest will be disrupted as well. I say in messages people expect to be able to sleep when they book and hosts should not be disrupted like this either. He replies that he didn't know the bathroom was insufficently insulated.  I reply that is not possible since I explained that in great detail a day ago how loud he was and was very clear on use like that is disruptive the day before. There is not issues with my bathroom when it's used properly and normally!! Also that his call was so loud I hear it even after he returned to his room!

Do I get him to leave ?? I'm livid at his rude reply and totally lack of respect.

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Absolutely, he needs to leave. Contact airbnb to explain the situation and ask them to cancel him and find him alternate accomodation.

He has 9 nights remaining how would that affect payments? I can't rebook that short notice.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicki5  If you are more concerned about losing the money for him being cancelled than getting him out of your home, then what is the point of your post? Only you can decide what your priorities are.

Actually it got worst and I cancelled but did find out that if you add a fee for not following the house rules (you have to put it in writting in the house rules) then you can at least get that in the way of compensation for the loss of days when you are forced to evacuate a disruptive and difficult guest.  So it's not just priorities of money or respect - this way as hosts we can have some of the loss back  ( my fee is two days stay valued) so giveing a chance of a few days to potentially getting another booking.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've had many similar guests; it's part of our business. Some you like, some you don't.
You don't want him in your house, you lose the money. You can't have it both ways. 

To some extent yes you can have it both ways . if you add a fee for not following the house rules (you have to put it in writting in the house rules) then you can at least get that in the way of compensation for the loss of days when you are forced to evacuate a disruptive and difficult guest.  It's not a guest I don't 'like' it's a guest that prevented me from sleeping my own home  that misused and abused the access that was granted and also was argueing constantly - this way as hosts we can have some of the loss back  ( my fee is two days stay valued) while potentially getting another booking a few days later.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Nicki5

Good luck in collecting that fee.  Or did he pay you before he left ?

ABNB collects it and they return the remainder of their stay money ( if they are asked to leave mid stay) if not ABNB said to add this and they will apply it.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Nicki5 Trust me, you will never see it. I have all sorts of house rules and a deposit. I have never collected on the ground of the rules being broken. They pay out only for items- sheets ruined etc. Thry promise otherwise but reality is different. Just don’t want you to get your hopes up

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Nicki5,

have You ever heard that there's an "Enter" key on the keyboard that allows You to generate paragraphes?

Day 3 he is also leaving food reminants and wet pots and pans around the kitchen counters all day. And despite a poster saying DO NOT leave lights on when not in the room he leaves his on for 8 hours during the day while out . I address this that evening and he tells me it's because his light is too dim so he didn't ................

Day 4 I tell him that that amount of noise in the middle of the night is not acceptable and this is not the hours of a business stay ( which he presented himself as from the first contact) I say I had less than 4 hours of sleep and had to go to work then ask if this is his regular hours and he said no it is not.  I say the noise is very loud when it's in the middle of the night............

Day 5 he says he wants to do laundry I say I am doing it so it's not available because he used towels from the bathroom rather than the towels I provided and I had to wash them for the new guest. He has 4 towels in his room and helps himself to three more......................