" Holidays" Maximize Your Income

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

" Holidays" Maximize Your Income

I have been using this very simple calendar function for a couple of years and I thought I would share. Holidays are the few calendar days of the year that us as hosts have our highest income potential , so why not maximize our income?.

What I do is block all future holidays in my entire open calendar (2 days before and after each holiday) 5 days total for each holiday, I then I unblock or make available the holiday as it approaches, 5 days before the holiday, ( At a premium holiday rate). 

My booking income has doubled for the holidays!, I confirmed that it is because I had the dates blocked and made availble in the last minute because of the amount of views my listing received the day I unblocked the holiday, my listing views quadrupled!. ( This spike in views is a gauranteed booking with my listing).

As always a thumbs up if you found this helpful.

Rubén
13 Replies 13
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Rubén16

it's great if you can get last minute bookings at a premium price.... where I live, bookings are made a month or at least 2 weeks in advance. I set up premium prices 6 months in advance ( before my calendar opens)

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I thought the same thing, that guests were not going to book at a premiun price in the last minute.  I am in vermont U.S.A., so the airbnb competition is tremendous. So I tested it out for one holiday and it worked, then I tested it out a second time and it worked again. It would be great if you can test it with one holiday and let us know how  it performed for you:)

Rubén
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Rubén16

Well, the demand in Zagreb is highest for New year and 2 weekends in December... but, I prefer to get longer bookings for this period (4-6 nights) from international tourists then to be booked just 2 nights from locals  in the last minute (or to stay empty because locals can't pay premium price and international guests book well in advance)

Competition in Zagreb is unbearable too.

Every area is different but it is great to hear different solutions from hosts arround the world 🙂

And btw... how is it in your area for Christmas? To my surprise the demand is not high and our prices are the same as during the season ... it's more like stay-at-home-with-your-family kind of holliday.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  You are correct, here in the U.S.A. it is the same (stay at home with the family day) on December 25th, however the weekend  after the 25th is a very busy and very popular weekend and week, this year it was my most profitable airbnb bookings.

The same goes for Thanksgiving, no bookings on Thanksgiving day, however great bookings for Thanksgiving weekend and week thereafter.

Rubén

I tried the premiun for the holidays like X'mas in Utah.  Most people like to stay home for X'mas. 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Rubén16 My high rate nights are in May and June– college graduations. I choose to set the calendar price along with a longer minimum stay, months and months in advance. Those dates are generally taken by the middle of October. After all, who decides to attend their child's graduation or their own reunion a week before?

Last year, one of those week's canceled when they were offered a free home locally, but it was snapped up immediately for the same amount of money, but without the extra bed so less work for me!

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Susan151  Sounds great Susan!! It shows you have maximized your calendar based on peak booking dates,

it is beneficial to have other hosts ideas and tips.

Thanks

Rubén
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Rubén16

I have a similiar routine. I do not use Airbnb's suggested pricing for holidays - way too low.

I too find last minute bookings pay a premium.  

My only problem is with the manual workings of it all. Last year, I had mis-toggled my reservation acceptance period and booked July 4th at an off-season, week-day rate 😞

I wish Airbnb, in addition to week-ends pricing also had a holiday grouping to help in automations.

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

4th of July is only a US holiday. I cant imagine how Airbnb could assist with holidays that differ country to country then state to state.

This post is very interesting.  I am in suburbia in Sydney and the approach that works for me is to increase the price for popular holidays in the calendar,  New Year and Chinese New Year and school holidays (not Xmas).   i already have a minimum 4 days stay. Typically New Year is booked up to 6 mths to a year in advance as Sydney fireworks are pretty spectacular.

I actually decrease my prices as unbooked dates are getting closer as there is a lot of competition now.

But as we read in this forum all the time,  there really does seem to be a correlation  between the price and the quality of guest.  A decision we all have to make.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Rubén16 what is the point of blocking the dates? Why not just set your price and wait for someone to be desperate enough to take it?

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Lisa723  Blocking my holiday dates has improved my listing in a couple of ways, if you wait to the last minute , with me I open it up 5 to 7 days before the holiday, what it does is it gives my listing a tremendous spike in views, normally 200 to 300 per day until it is booked. Those view spikes are beneficial because of airbnb algorithm (the more views the higher in search results). 

For the rate I do wait to see what the highest premium is on the week of the holiday, it has always been much more than what I would of had listed it for if I were to have listed it way in advance.

Also if you wait it becomes a fresh and new listing for those who have been looking for a booking.

Rubén
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Rubén16, I have just blocked out Memorial Day to try your method out and I'll see how it goes. If it goes well, I will block out the 4th, too!  Thanks for the tip!