smoking penalty

Rhonda140
Level 1
Anderson, SC

smoking penalty

I recently returned to my home to the strong smell of cigarettes and marijuana. The guests had left empty packages of cigarettes, swishers and also the glade that they attempted to cover the smell. I also found particles of marijuana on my table and tv stand all of which I had photos showing. Is there anyway to implement some sort of fine? I realize that this situation is over but I would like to prevent this happening in the future.

4 Replies 4
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Sorry to hear about that @Rhonda140 - it’s not pleasant trying to get the smell out. Chlorine based cleaner will get it out of any surfaces (including plastic bin inners), so use that to wipe down first, then go over it with something more pleasant smelling. If the bedding smells, use wool mix to soak and hand wash them out (eucalyptus smell is best!) - learned this from my wife, she’s got all kinds of tricks for stain and smell removal... 

We have a penalty listed in our rules that applies in this situation, but it’s intended as a deterrent. I doubt we would bother enforcing it if it happened, it’s more a case of setting a firm tone in the hope it will prevent smoking issues.

This is a shortened version:

SMOKING POLICY 

No smoking is permitted anywhere inside the property.  We reserve the right to charge a $250 instant penalty, plus extra cleaning fees and cost of future lost business, if the cottage smells of smoke or contains smoking related litter.

We display our 1 page of rules as a poster, standing picture, and in a house manual, as well as on Airbnb... 4 different ways just to be sure they are seen. We also translate it into different languages if we have foreign guests.

Also, I recommend getting those various little no smoking signs to put around the place. We have small discrete ones, but they are effective because we have dotted them around above light switches (people are going to see them when the use the light switch). Make sure it’s not just a sign in English words, but also a sign that includes the universal symbol for no smoking (cigarette in a red circle, with a line through it) then you are covered.

Hopefully this will help you get ahead of any repeat issues.

Asury-and-Adam0
Level 3
Clarksville, TN

Yes, we have the same issue and commonly happens in our homes. We have a $100 fine for violating this rule, unfortunately, no one reads or cares. We, too, have rules posted in the home next you WiFi password so that it can't be missed. No guest has ever accepted my request for the fine, so I always have escalate and provide proof. I usually send a message to AirBnB immediately after my housekeeper notifies me of odors. I asked AirBnB why can't they take it out of the deposit and they told me that the deposit only covers damaged or missing items. This is quite frustrating and too common of an occurrence for it to not be taken out of deposit. Smoke does cause damage as odors are the most difficult thing to fix in a home, stains walls, not to mention burns and it's a fire hazard and flat out a VIOLATION of rules that agree to prior to booking. 

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I agree @Asury-and-Adam0 - I think smoking in a property should invoke far harsher consequences for guests.  It's not good enough that Airbnb don't bring the hammer down on this issue.  I even provide an outside smoking garden because I know smokers will be smokers... so having them bring it inside against my rules, signs and everything is just maddening.  Airbnb are far too slow to deal with this issue.

Airbnb brought in compulsory carbon monoxide detectors becuase they were worried about guests dying in unsafe listings, but they don't view smoking inside as an equal hazard.  I think what needs to happen is some stupid guest burns down an entire property with themselves in it before Airbnb take this problem as seriously.

Asury-and-Adam0
Level 3
Clarksville, TN

You're right! That's exactly what it would take. Which even then, you'd probably have to pay the deductible and file an insurance claim causing your ins policy to be possibly be raised. Also, once you request the extra money from guests, they immediately get defensive and give you a bad rating it out of spite and AirBnB won't remove the review of it doesn't violate the rating policy. However, if I catch guest violating a rule, they can cancel the reservation without issuing a refund..? But, if it's found after the fact, nothing gets done..?