support message sent to my guest

Jennifer867
Level 3
McKenney, VA

support message sent to my guest

This is my first time I've posted here...I hope you can help...it's greatly appreciated.

A regular guest of mine sent me a screen shot of an Airbnb Support message she received just after check in the last two times she's stayed at my listing. She went on to say that she's never gotten this message regarding her stays with other hosts  (she's a seasoned Airbnb guest)

I've been a host/guest for quite a few years and  and I've never seen anything like it. 

Naturally I called Airbnb and they didn't get an answer as to why it was sent other than the message was not the result of a query of problem  reported and there was no "Airbnb" support person connected to theses messages. Support couldn't even confirm whether it was a "new" message being sent throughout the community. 

Anyone ever seen this before?

Screenshot 2022-06-18 9.30.32 AM.png

I'd appreciate your response. 

Thanks, Jen

23 Replies 23
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer867 

That's weird. No, I've never seen this before nor heard it mentioned. I have only travelled a few times as an Airbnb guest, and not for several months now, but never received anything like that myself. I have also never had a guest mention this kind of message to me, but that's not to say they haven't received it.

Perhaps it's a new thing as both these stays are recent. Has your guest stayed anywhere else in the meantime? 

Thanks for responding @Huma0. To answer your question, yes she's stayed in another listing in the mean time and didn't get that message

I had thought it might be a new thing too but Airbnb wouldn't or couldn't confirm it. The lack of basic knowledge by Airbnb support is a bit concerning.

I'm gonna ask my other two guests today when they return to my house from their activities. (i have two more listings)

The whole thing is really strange!! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer867 

I will ask my current guests also if they ever got this message. 

Yes, the lack of basic knowledge at Airbnb support is concerning. Sometimes you get someone knowledgeable but, more often than not, it's outsourced call centre staff who are poorly trained and not well versed in Airbnb policy. Often they can be vague/secretive about stuff that really shouldn't be considered 'confidential' at all.  I have had some very odd responses at times.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jennifer867 @Huma0 

I think this is new. I just stayed at an Airbnb this week and received the same "Support Message" sent on the evening of check-in. It is an automated message. This did not happen during my last stay in March. So it's something that Airbnb has implemented during the last couple of months. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 @Jennifer867 

I think it must be very new. Either that, or Airbnb are testing it on a number of guests but not all of them. I asked one of my current guests who checked in about a month ago. He said he didn't receive any such message.

My other two guests didn't get it. One checked in the same day as the guest who questioned the support message, the other the day after. @Emilia42, @Huma0 . I guess I'll have to wait until after the weekend and hope to get some kind of clarification from Airbnb.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer867 

In that case, it sounds like maybe they are trying it out on a few guests before rolling it out to all. I doubt it can just be applying to you if @Emilia42 also saw this message.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jennifer867@Huma0@Emilia42,

You all did notice that the support message stops short of saying that a guest will get a knowledgeable customer service rep that knows more than "escalating your issue to XX department" or repeatedly say "I'm sorry" or that their issue will be addressed and resolved promptly or if called back they will be contacted during during normal waking hours for the listing location.  Or, above all, the CS rep isn't about to be out of the office for the next few days.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Yep, I didn't go into all of that with my current guest who thought it would be useful to have this message. He is young and a pretty new Airbnb user (only stayed in one Airbnb before, which was the one with the lock box problem) so I didn't want to burst the bubble just yet! 

I am pretty sure his hosts sorted out the problem faster (i.e. within 1.5 hours) than any out of office Airbnb rep would have...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer867 @Emilia42 

By the way, the guest I asked about it this evening said he never saw a message like that but it sounded like a good idea to him. He said that at the Airbnb where he stayed before, there was self check in but the lock box and key had been stolen so they couldn't get in and had to wait outside in the dark for 1.5 hours for the host to send a locksmith to sort it out. Not ideal, but not such a big deal to him because he was travelling with friends. However, he said if he had been alone it would have been really uncomfortable not to be able to get hold of someone sooner to let them know he was unable to check in.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jennifer867 @Huma0 

I looked back through my travel messages and I received a similar message (with a little different wording) for a stay back in March 2021. It appears randomly generated but normal Airbnb automated messaging procedure.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 

Mmm, interesting. If it was as far back as March 2021, it does seem very random.

Also, it seems strange that @Jennifer867 's guest has gotten at least two of these messages and so have you, while other guests have not gotten them at all.

I do wonder what criteria is used when deciding to send the message. I assume it's operated by the algorithms or something.

James413
Level 3
Gig Harbor, WA

I don't know if my guests received this message.  I don't feel it is negative.  It is Airbnb

quality control.  They are asking if check in was good.  They are telling the guest the host

is responsive.  A positive. Giving a backup if there is a problem.  Airbnb wants repeat

business from their guests and wants the guest to know they are here for them.  If you

do a good job there is no problem.  You are a Super Host.  I am sure you have no worries.

James A. Klamfoth
Jennifer867
Level 3
McKenney, VA

Hi everyone. Sorry my response was delayed. I finally heard back from Airbnb Support early this morning.@James413, @Huma0 @Emilia42 @Debra300 

Here's what Airbnb's response to my inquiry.  Appreciate all of

your feedback and suggestions.

@Jennifer867

Hi Jennifer,

I apologized for the late in update. Based on my investigation, the message that the Guest receive was because of the recent update with Airbnb. In this way, we make sure that Guests are aware that they can contact their Host directly if they have issues in the property, and they can also contact Airbnb to help.

The strength of our platform is thanks to the valuable insight and feedback we receive from community members like you.

We’re always looking for suggestions that could make the platform better for Hosts and guests alike, so once you’re logged into your account, let us know your thoughts at:

airbnb.com/help/feedback

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

All the best,
Rina