why no reservations

Judy72
Level 2
Chesterton, IN

why no reservations

Hi

Ive been a host since May of 1016 and have had all weekends and parts of during the week full until about Sept 26 when everything stopped completly! I had just made super host and love everything about hosting and have had terrific, interesting and kind guests. Boom Nothing! Yes I live near Lake Michigan and State as well as National Parks and about 50% of my guests did hiking, biking and beach activities but the rest were on there way somewhere else, takeing a weekend away from Chicago, or used the train to explore Chicago. But the area is abuzz with visitors enjoying the fun and beauty of fall and the parks. Except at my house. And ideas?? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

judy

10 Replies 10

I'm trying to figure out the same thing.  I had a super busy October and now only 1 reservation this coming week for 2 nights.  I also have 3 rooms!  Not sure if the election has anything to do with it?  Also we're going into the Holidays.  Still a little perplexed.  

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I think it may have to do with Instant Book.  When searching nowadays, the IB filter is automatically on.  I just discovered this new feature a few days ago, but it may have been the case for longer in other parts of the world. So those without IB are pushed to the bottom of the search, superhost or not, unless those who search manually remove the filter.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

I pretty much had the same experience, starting late September. Aside from the possible better rankings for all that allow IB (I don't) and seasonal changes, here is what could help: I changed my cover photo and the title of my listing, also slightly reduced the price for mid week rentals - got two bookings within 24 hours! Someone here had said a while ago that perhaps it also makes a difference if you periodically change/update your listing. In my case, that seems to have helped...

Annette

This is great advice Annette!  I'm going to try tweaking my listings!  Heather

Carol90
Level 4
Gatineau, Canada

Same here busy all through summer and October then suddenly very very quite. Will try tweaking.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

There has been quite a few reports on decrease in bookings lately.  Has there been any bad press ? Or is airbnb going out of fashion ? I have had my listing on airbnb since 2012 - never seen such a dry November !

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Judy72  I did a search for your listings and did not find them using common filter of 1 guest, private room.  I see that you do not have Instant Book, but the automatic filter for IB is not activated in your area it seems.  While most hosts are active during the summer, because I live in a desert community, there are no bookings for the summer time.  I get more views, inquiries and bookings for all other seasons. You haven't had a listing through a whole year.  You will have a better idea after you do that.  Also, check your stats and see how many are viewing without inquiring.  You might need to reduce your rate for a while.

Anastacia0
Level 3
Phoenix, AZ

I feel that the US election has stopped all travel, for the moment?

Are travelers distracted from traveling -I know I am. Maybe they're scared to spend money, with so many questions unanswered with the new elect?

I just had 3 guest stay, but booked 2-3 wks ago. I have one resvn pending, but nothing else! this is CRAZY.  I have the lowest rates and have IB, and was recv'ing messages every other day... hear crickets churping.  When I had it this low, before, I got all kinds of bizzare requests to cut a BETTER deal w/ cash, ppl trying to book for others, and requests to stay on a monthly basis if I cut a better deal, someone even just sold their house and had "no future plans", wanted to rent my fully furnitured home for less than $50/day (with FREE WATER/AC obviously included- no way!)  Laundry, driving, phone calls after I put my pjs on to go rescue a locked-out guest!?

Also, I am noticing that my area is becoming overly saturated, driving the price way down, when our prices in this area should be

over $100/n, just like price up north, in the summer. Our weather is GORGEOUS right now!

I can long term lease it for more and not pay their H2O/a/c.

So far, I am loosing money this month.

May have to do with the saturation but I think it's mostly Airbnb's current experiment of having Instant Book on by default. This means any on IB listing is hidden unless the guest is smart enough to turn it off 

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Elizabeth99
Level 4
Hebron, CT

We have been exceptionally quiet also.  I've done the tweaking thing.  But we don't do Instant Book because we are 2 hours away and can't set up quickly enough at this time (we use the unit as well as rent it).  We are also thinking the horrible winter (lack of snow) last year and our strict cancellation policy may be keeping people from booking this early in the season.  Seeing lots of views on our unit, but very few inquiries or reservations.  REALLY wish they'd bring back the ability to see what dates are being looked at - at least then I'd have a better idea of what's going on.