Afraid to leave a bad review

Answered!

Afraid to leave a bad review

I’m a new host; my booking has been up only for a month with 6 good reviews. Unfortunately, recently had a not-so-good guest who I am afraid to leave a bad review because it’s very likely he’ll leave bad one too. 
In short, the guest booked place for 1 person for 1 night, but 4 people came. We did say there’s an extra $10 charge per extra person after 2 people ($20 total that he wanted to pay off Airbnb, but we insisted on doing it through the app). Should probably mention he was polite and had 3 good reviews.
As a new listing the price is quite low compared to listings near by, plus there’s no additional fee for cleaning. Rules ask for people to keep place tidy to avoid extra charges. The guest left a bunch of dirty dishes, pieces of food on the floor and food stains on a light carpet. When told him politely about stains and requesting a $40 fee for carpet cleaning tool rental he declined and also complained about extra guest charges. We had to involve Airbnb. 
so now I really want to let other hosts know about this, but I am afraid that he will leave a bad review given that we had to file a claim against him (and for a new listing with only 6 reviews one bad would have a definite negative impact). 
What to do..?

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kate2393 As the man giving directions once said 'If you are going there I wouldn't start from here'.

Sadly your actions have already almost guaranteed a bad review. Yes you do deserve to be able to charge for carpet cleaning but I am afraid the system makes claiming for every thing that happens a bad idea.

Now to your not leaving a 'bad' review. This is a really bad idea for 2 reasons. 

1) The guest won't see your review until he leaves his so it won't influence a bad review

2) Anyone worried about his review of you will click on his account to hear your side of the story. Not leaving a review will make them conclude his review is accurate and possibly not book with you.

Sorry you got in this mess so early in your hosting career.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kate2393 As the man giving directions once said 'If you are going there I wouldn't start from here'.

Sadly your actions have already almost guaranteed a bad review. Yes you do deserve to be able to charge for carpet cleaning but I am afraid the system makes claiming for every thing that happens a bad idea.

Now to your not leaving a 'bad' review. This is a really bad idea for 2 reasons. 

1) The guest won't see your review until he leaves his so it won't influence a bad review

2) Anyone worried about his review of you will click on his account to hear your side of the story. Not leaving a review will make them conclude his review is accurate and possibly not book with you.

Sorry you got in this mess so early in your hosting career.

Hello.  I would add a cleaning fee onto  your property listing. This, would help with all of the little stains and nicks, that almost every single guests leave. 
Good luck to you!