Asking for check-out time

Answered!
Tom121
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

Asking for check-out time

Hello, folks,

Sometimes we want to plan our cleaning schedule or handyman repairs ahead of time.  It just makes it easier for us to plan other activities for our day accordingly.

What do you think is appropriate in asking the guests ahead of time what their check-in and check-out times will be, and how would you word it? Of course, one doesn't want to be a nag and I never want to pressure the guest.  Thanks
1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Tom121 

As a live in host, I don't find it too difficult to ask. I just say something like, "Oh, by the way, what time were you planning on checking out tomorrow morning? It would be great to say goodbye properly."

This is A.) a way of ascertaining the check out time and B.) a reminder that that time means the morning, not any old time of the day unless they specifically request a later check out.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Tom121. bom dia  eu pergunto que horas pretende chegar!

quando vai sair nao pergunto!

Loni

Kendra114
Level 9
Galveston, TX

Pick a time like 11 AM & stick to it. Don’t let guests make the rules. You are in charge. When hosts are wishy washy it hurts all of us. That’s part of the reason there are so many bad guests now. They’ve gotten by with doing whatever they want, when they want & then they stay at places like mine who have set rules, & they have baby fits when you tell them no. Please, for the love of all that is good, have rules.

I’m sorry to go on a rant but I read so many posts from hosts whining about this & that & what it comes down to is — have rules & expectations. It’s not fun but if you want to be successful & not throw your time, energy & money down the drain, you have to.

We have checkout at 11 AM & $25 extra for each additional 15 minutes. You might think that’s harsh but we have check-in at 3 P.M. for up to 4 units. My husband & I do everything  on-site so between 11 & 3 it is rush hour. We don’t have time for late checkouts especially if problems arise. 

Ok, thanks. But I don't see how I'm being wishy-washy or whining at all.  Seems like you misinterpreted my question.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Tom121 we have a check out/check in time of 10am/4pm respectively. When we send our guests directions we remind them of the check in time and ask roughly what time they plan to arrive. If the apartment is known to be ready we will, at this point, offer an earlier check in time. With check out times it again depends on us and whether we plan/need to get the apartment cleaned. If we don't then again we offer flexibility. By being firm but flexible we garner good will without disrupting our cleaning plans.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tom121  Guests giving you a check-in/out time is nothing you can rely on and build a schedule with cleaners or handymen around. Plenty of guests will give a check-in time and not arrive until hours later. 

Nothing wrong with asking for ETA, most hosts do, I think, and it is just a straightforward question, not something you need to worry about how to word. But assume that guests will check in anytime during your check-in window. As for check-out time, that is normally set by the host and if it's 11, it's 11 and your cleaner should be scheduled for after that time- why would you think guests have leeway on that?

If you need time for repairs, etc, then don't take back-to-back bookings- use the one day prep time setting to block a night between bookings so you can get what you need to done.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Tom121   I wouldn't do this.  In fact, we did do this, where we  had everything as 'flexible' thinking that would be a selling point, but it caused delays trying to chase guests for their planned check out time, sometimes we had to decline requests if we couldn't confirm with guests and it was generally making something that should be simple more labor intensive and complicated than necessary.  It is hard enough to get guests to stick to the posted times.

Our check-in window is 2pm-10pm, but we always allow for later check-in and allow for earlier check in when OUR schedule allows for it.  Our check-out time is 11am and guest are reminded of this the day before check-out, here too, if we liked the guest and if the schedule is very open, we also will offer a later check out.  But, it's always at our discretion, not that of the guest.

Tom121
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

My window of time for cleaning is noon to 4 pm.  My wife and I live on-site and do the cleaning ourselves. 

One example for the question is if we know the guest is checking out around 9 am, then we know we can start cleaning before noon, and plan Dr appointments, etc..for later that day. 

I have asked for estimated check-in and checkout times before and explained why.  Guests have always been very cordial and understanding, and I never get the sense that they feel nagged.  I’m just curious how other hosts handle it. 

I did actually block my calendar out for tonight to replace an exterior door, but my contractor flaked out.  Now I’m scrambling to find someone else at the last minute to do the job since it’ll be lost income anyway.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Tom121 

As a live in host, I don't find it too difficult to ask. I just say something like, "Oh, by the way, what time were you planning on checking out tomorrow morning? It would be great to say goodbye properly."

This is A.) a way of ascertaining the check out time and B.) a reminder that that time means the morning, not any old time of the day unless they specifically request a later check out.

Perfect, thank you, Huma0.