Avoid this guest **

Avoid this guest **

I had the mis-pleasure of hosting this person. 

Never happy. Constant demands.  Tried to extort a two week refund via a "gesture of goodwill" then left the bathroom filthy and a nasty review. 

A highly entitled and demanding guest who would leave a bad review from the Ritz after trying to extort free services from them!! 

*Title edited*

36 Replies 36

Because I tend to leave positive comments for all guests, on the basis that they do the same.

Guest reviews are unseen.

I received an “outlier” review and a very picky and pedantic private message which was obviously driven by malice.

I had bent over backwards to accommodate her and her husband during their stay and her constant demands and complaints.

I was expecting a good review, but no.

The bathroom was left dirty and full of mould caused by the guests. 

The worst guests I’ve had are two childless millennial new arrivals to Australia who have no clue about what you get for your money etc, and through an entitled attitude and putting on a friendly and pleasant mask whilst being hosted only leave a review driven by malice.

She also tried extort a “gesture of goodwill” through passive aggressive bullying

AVOID

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@John5097 

John, mate, I don't want to be too critical but this is a hosting forum and we try to help each other here and offer constructive comment. None of us are perfect, @Ian-And-Liz0 came here to vent from what was an unpleasant experience. Don't add to it, cut them a bit of slack.....okay!

Cheers........Rob 

Thank you 

@Robin4 But from @Ian-And-Liz0 's review it wasn't an unpleasant situation as they really enjoyed hosting this guest.

Do many hosts basically leave reviews saying that guests were demanding pains in the backside who left the place filthy and other hosts should could completely avoid them? 

If the answer to that is yes then I will change my reviews 

@Ian-And-Liz0 lots of posts on this. But hosts are obligated to leave HONEST reviews. This is a warning to others and helps to prevent someone from say, damaging another person's property or filing a spurious complaint that gets a listing shut down. 

An honest review for this guest would go something like this:

"Guest stayed with us X days. Communicated a lot about things that they wanted to change about the space. Clean up took X number of extra hours. Not a guest we would have back or recommend to others."

Then under 3 stars for all categories if you don't want to be visible in their search again, and press the "I would not host again" option at the end of the review. Done and done.

Leaving a good review for a bad guest only hurts the rest of us. You already know who this person is and they are unlikely to darken your door again. We don't. The review is the only tool we have to protect our listings. 

@Ian-And-Liz0 

Your practice of leaving positive reviews for guests regardless of their behavior is because you expect the same from them? 

You're here telling us that they were horrible guests. 

Do you expect a positive review from them even if you're a horrible host? I'm not saying that you are, only explaining that your approach is skewed.

You emphasize that "guest reviews are unseen" meaning that you don't know what they've said until you post yours, or 14 days have passed. Well, it works the same way for guests: They can't see your review until they have posted theirs, or until 14 days have passed. 

It's possible to be honest about poor guests without being rude. You make brief statements of fact about what made them "bad" guests at your property. You leave the emotion out of it. You click the "would not host again" button. 

Just think: Had a prior host of theirs done that, you might not be in this situation as you might have chosen not to host them. 

Fair comments and information

However I received nothing but praise from the guest for being a great landlord / host over what was a lengthy stay 

@Ian-And-Liz0 a guest can praise you and still leave a bad review. A guest can also praise you and be a pain in the behind. The guest's review has nothing to do with yours. Its not a reciprocal review situation. Its always nice when a guest and a host agree that the stay has been fantastic, but there are times when it doesn't happen. Because we can't see a guest review until we write ours or 14 days have passed, it can be an unpleasant surprise if a guest is critical or glowing and your experience is different.

Again you don't owe anyone a great review if your experience with them as a host has not been great. You owe them an honest review. You owe your fellow hosts that courtesy. Your guest paid you and you accommodated them. That transaction is complete. The reviews you leave are for future hosts who have not yet encountered this person. 

Er @Ian-And-Liz0 You appear to be stretching the truth somewhat. Your guest actually said 'Fantastic location, fantastic hosting. Beautiful sunset views from the balcony and 30 seconds from the beach. The property lacks attention to detail and needs some TLC, bathroom in particular. Thank you for your hospitality!'

If nothing but praise includes the property lacking attention to detail and needing TLC particularly in the bathroom then I guess its a stellar review.....

Thanks.  You’ve been helpful. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Robin4 @I’m pretty sure this is against ABB TOS to use someone’s full name and could be grounds to have listing suspended. One really can’t be too careful when it comes to definition and so easy to do. Not to mention very unprofessional. At some point we all have to deal with unfair review but this was a positive review by both guest and host. Sorry I don’t support posting someone’s full name in public place asking other host to not host them after leaving positive rave revie for them. I thought this was a community for both host and guest. If I made this mistake, and I’ve made my share, I would hope admins would remove it sooner than later. 

Why are you being threatening? 

This post was made under HOSTING 

@Ian-And-Liz0 "Why are you being threatening?"

I can't see how @John5097 is threatening you. He simply doesn't support your methods, and has shared information that you should take heed of.  I have to agree with him wholeheartedly.

Thanks @Colleen253 .. really appreciate you chiming in..  I just wish host would stop posting guest's personal info..