Bargain Hunters & Hagglers

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Bargain Hunters & Hagglers

In the last two weeks I’ve had more folks trying to strike a ‘deal’ than I’ve had in over 5 years of hosting.  

A series of ‘your house is beautiful but not in our budget’.  Some have told us what they’re willing to pay and today someone suggested taking their own towels and sheets for a large discount for a week in August. 

No one is being rude and when it’s a very firm but very polite ‘no’ they’re being gracious.

I was looking at cruises yesterday - I’d love a Grand suite but have a balcony budget and I’m fine with that.

What’s happening out there - is this happening to you too? 

14 Replies 14
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amanda660 

Yes, I started to notice this had become more and more frequent after the pandemic started. I had a LOT of similar requests back in 2020. See: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Are-extra-discounts-the-new-normal/m-p/1318829#M313662

After that, I didn't host for a while but, not long after I started again (late 2021), the discount requests started again. I already got a couple of them this week.

Maybe it's a UK thing?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I have noticed that, some potential guests ask for a discount.
I think that most of them are using Airbnb for the first time. Some are clueless and do not understand that Airbnb is also a price comparison website where there are accommodation for all budgets.  Of course, when someone wants to pay too low they will find the ugliest accommodations or the ones that are not well located.

Another thing that I know, is that in some travel blogs there are articles recommending to ask for discount when using Airbnb.  So, the ones that are prone to ask for a discount think that Airbnb is a paradise to hagglar.
In most of the cases, at least with me, they will have another thing coming.

One more thing. In some cultures, people tends to ask for a discount. They consider this practice normal. So, in some cases, I do not care. I just say that its not possible to offer extra discounts because the price is fair.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@J-Renato0 @Huma0 I’m noticing all the hagglers are first timers, generally with an incomplete profile and not really sure how it all works.  They want a really nice house but at hostel rates.

This week I had a newbie try to book 5 days for 7 guests in July, dates were blocked awaiting ID verification but wouldn’t respond to my message asking to confirm they’d read my house rules stating no parties or guests.  I had to phone CS to ask them to remove the request and free up my calendar.  He eventually responded stating they were ‘uncomfortable with the house rules’.

His wife had also messaged the week before re the dates and also didn’t reply.  

I listed with VRBO about 5 months ago when Airbnb suddenly suspended me (after the fibromyalgia lady who tried to get a refund then reported that I had CCTV in the garden - I don’t) and had my first enquiry last week.  Exactly the same, masses of questions but then decided it was double their budget.  

Chap  last week ‘your house is so beautiful’ but wanted to pay 1/3 of the nightly rate for a group of 6 for 3 nights over a weekend.

The only platform that’s not asking for discount  just now is Booking but that’s my least preferred.  No getting to know the guests in advance and very only pay out the following month. 

So, lots of messages, phone still pinging but results in very little.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amanda660 

Wanting to pay 1/3 of the nightly rate is ridiculous. I have never had anyone try to bargain that low. It just goes to show that some guests think the advertised rate is meaningless, as if it's something that hosts just pluck out of the air or a product of wishful thinking, rather than something that is based on research into the local competition/going rates and the quality of the listing. Or, perhaps they think we are desperate enough to take something rather than nothing. Many guests never consider that there are costs associated with hosting and that it is time consuming. I'd rather have an empty room than take 1/3 of the rate.

I did a search last night for listings in my locality on behalf of a former guest who wants to stay again but, sadly, I don't have availability for her dates. I realised that things have moved on since I last did a search and my prices are way too low. Still, I get guests haggling. 

The most recent one wanted a hefty discount. When I responded that there was already a long term discount in place and that the room rate was reasonable even before that, the guest said, "you’re right- it’s already at a very reasonable price. I thought I would ask anyway."

Unlike you and @J-Renato0 , I don't receive these requests just from newbie users. This guest already had four reviews. The one who messaged two days before asking about a discount had two reviews. Both had 5* ratings.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Amanda660 @Huma0 

We got a few of those last year, and yes, *mostly* nice enquiries, but wanting a discount... 

...and a few that simply seem to feel entitled. In those handful of cases, I sensed they assumed we must be desperate because of covid, and accept any booking at any price. But that's just the natural result of obtaining news from tabloid media 😳

In any case, I usually just recommend something else in the area that's within their budget and wish them well. 

But since about September, the bookings came in like wildfire. Full booked into September now.. And beyond. Nobody asking for discounts (although I've had to scare away quite a few weird inquiries this year, more than ever! ). Yet most seem to be quite respectable. So far this year, mostly "ideal" guests.

Not one Brit among them though. Maybe it is a UK thing (?).

News reports made it seem as if hosts were struggling. And for sure "some" guests are also struggling. That probably makes them think that "bargaining" and "haggling" are okay.

It's not. It says I want your place but don't value your asset or your time invested. I almost always turn down guests who ask for a discount or a modification from the rules. This year I broke that rule for a fellow host and every red flag was realized when they left - including a mess for me to clean up, dishes in the sink and half-eaten food in the fridge.

It would be nice if Airbnb educated guests on "how to be a considerate guest."

Never understood guests who think they are doing me a favor by staying with me. From now on, ask to bring an extra person, ask for changes to the rules, ask for discounts - automatic "my listing is not a fit for your needs."

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Christine615 wrote:

It would be nice if Airbnb educated guests on "how to be a considerate guest."

Actually, this article has existed for a few years at least: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/695/being-a-considerate-guest

and there are also these: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/3053/whats-expected-of-guests

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2894/guest-reliability-standards

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2704/party-and-events-policy

But, as far as I am aware, guests would have to actively search for these articles rather than being automatically reminded of this information in any way so, let's face it, only guests who are already VERY conscientious are going to be doing that in the first place...

I am so glad I found this discussion group. Airbnb promotes discount for a longer stay guest. I have it set up so it does it automatically, which I am changing today. It is attracting people that have no history with AirBnB and bottom feeders. I think I’ll put in the remark in the description. Longer stay discount inquire.

Before offer a longer stay discount my first response “you must have a history with good reviews with Airbnb.”  As long as we’re in the mode for inquiry- it will help me avoid declining them.

I rarely have somebody that is a short stay asking for discounts. I do keep my pricing at a reasonable rate and I check other Airbnb‘s around me to see what they are charging. 

Don't even offer it in your description, @Susan737.  You'll get booked by people who won't even ask.  Putting the suggestion in will encourage everyone to ask - people will decide that since 4 days are longer than 3, they should qualify.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Maybe hosts who get a lot of these low-ball discount requests should have a saved message to send the discount seekers which consists of a list of expenses the host incurs per night, from toilet paper to utilities to gas money. Then close with "So it seems you want me to host you for free?"

@Sarah977  Or how about, we provide F G X Y P B for $$$, but you would like to stay for $$ or $. So please tell us which amenities you’d like us to remove to accommodate your budget request??

@William810  I think there should be ratings for inquiries and requests. The categories could be Sense of Entitlement, Total Cluelessness, Insulting Discount Requests, Failure to Read Anything, Scammer, and Thinks Hosts Were Born Yesterday.

@William810You are such a kindred spirit! 🙂

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Amanda660   Yes, over the past year we also have had quite a few requests for discounts.  They nearly always start with "It is our anniversary/birthday/special occasion and we would love to stay at your beautiful place - but - it is slightly out of our budget.  Could you please do us a special discount"

Early on in my Airbnb journey, I did do a couple of discounted weekends and they ended in disappointment.  Things broken or lower ratings on reviews.  I now just say sorry but we don't offer any special discounts and I really hope you find somewhere wonderful for your special occasion.