Compensation for broken refrigerator

Answered!
Linden20
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Compensation for broken refrigerator

Hi everyone, what would be a reasonable % compensation for a refrigerator that didn't work the whole week of my stay in a good one bedroom apartment in the South of France.

Overall I liked the apartment and would like to be able to say in my review, "the refrigerator was broken the whole week and couldn't be replaced quickly, however I came to a good arrangement with the owner that I was happy with". I also noticed that the previous guest had a problem with the microwave which was quickly replaced.

The food froze up completely even on the minimum setting. The owner's agent (in France) tried to remedy and suggested solutions but nothing worked. The effect was that I spent the first few days testing the refrigerator with a glass of water. I lost a few bits of food because they became mushy after defrosting but mostly it was just inconvenient not having a functional refrigerator. I was travelling solo and needed to eat in the apartment each day.

Thank you for any advice.

Linden

1 Best Answer

Hi and thanks for your reply but I have to say, I don't agree with the premise. It's not a trivial matter to try and cancel a booking and find another suitable apartment after having already settled in and purchased food etc. Also I needed to give the owner's agent a little time to resolve things. In the end the agent suggested I could perhaps live without a refrigerator in exchange for possible compensation though nothing was agreed immediately. I was otherwise very happy with the apartment. I would think a property owner would rather compensate and have a good review than a disgruntled client leaving a negative review. If owners don't compensate for failings then they would have no incentive to keep places in a good state of repair.

Update: The owner has refunded me the price of one night which I was happy to accept and I have written a good review explaining there was a problem and we came to a good arrangement that I was happy with.  

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Linden20 Usually if a guest stays for the entire stay then no compensation is needed. This is based on the premise that if it were a real inconvenience the guest would have asked Airbnb to cancel the stay and find a new place to stay. As you were talking to the owners agent why didn't you agree any compensation there and then I wonder.

Hi and thanks for your reply but I have to say, I don't agree with the premise. It's not a trivial matter to try and cancel a booking and find another suitable apartment after having already settled in and purchased food etc. Also I needed to give the owner's agent a little time to resolve things. In the end the agent suggested I could perhaps live without a refrigerator in exchange for possible compensation though nothing was agreed immediately. I was otherwise very happy with the apartment. I would think a property owner would rather compensate and have a good review than a disgruntled client leaving a negative review. If owners don't compensate for failings then they would have no incentive to keep places in a good state of repair.

Update: The owner has refunded me the price of one night which I was happy to accept and I have written a good review explaining there was a problem and we came to a good arrangement that I was happy with.  

Angela1056
Top Contributor
Linarolo, Italy

Ciao @Linden20 at the end of this paper you can find some information on the percentage to request in compensation for problems encountered during a stay as tourist.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tatjana-Pivac/publication/331321810_FRANKFURT_TABLE_AS_AN_EXAMP...