Do you send a thanks for booking message?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Do you send a thanks for booking message?

Hello all, I've made a few bookings on Airbnb as a guest lately, and I'm wondering if other hosts send a message thanking the guest for their booking. In both cases, I instant booked with superhosts and included an introductory message from me about why we were visiting and a bit about us, and there was radio silence from them.

Personally, I always send a message, something like: 

Hello (guest), 

Thanks for booking with us for June: we look forward to hosting you. The Inn on the Twenty is a beautiful venue, and I hope your neice's wedding is great (I always insert something that they've mentioned about their group or their reason for staying). 

If you have any questions or need any recommendations, please get in touch anytime. 

Have a great day, 

Alexandra

So am I alone in this? Is this not a normal thing to do when you get a booking? If the guest has already been talking to me and asking questions before they go ahead with the booking, I usually just send a one-liner thanking them for completing the booking. 

57 Replies 57
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Yeah @Patricia55 I agree with @Alexandra316 - it’s not about what you say, it’s just the contact that matters. People always feel more confident about their travel plans when they know the “host” has acknowledged those plans, as opposed to just the Airbnb automated receipt system.

This is even more important for IB hosts, as guests can often have no communication exchange before their booking goes through. That first thank you message is therefore their confirmation that the host on the other end is paying attention.

Perhaps less of an issue with non IB hosts (because they know you’ve manually accepted them), but I reckon it sets a good tone with a guest to thank and confirm in a personalised way. Folks like Robin (top poster on here, can’t tag him for some reason) have shown the community that investing extra time in good guest communication pays off!

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Ben551@Alexandra316

Cheers, both, for the reassurance... there's me, brought up polite (over-polite, I sometimes think 😉 ), feeling I've been lacking in some way!  But I keep telling myself we must be doing something right, if we're getting a good number of return guests 🙂

PS I envy those hosts who are great communicators... I try my best, but I'm never going to be great 😉

@Patricia55, as @Alexandra316 has said, there is nothing wrong with your message at all.

Sometimes guests just write fantastic information up front and there are very few questions you need to ask.... but that is the experienced Airbnber.

However, for me, I now always add the day and dates for arrival and departures, and guest numbers as I’ve been able to pick up a couple of errors, that the guest has then changed. Sometimes though rare, they forget to add the baby!

Another example, “many” of our night flights are 12am-2am, and the guest actually has needed to book an extra night (before) the reservation, otherwise, they couldn’t check in to get some sleep.  This has been a pretty important pick up, early in the communication, and guests are very grateful.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Aye @Cathie19 I think you're right re our guests giving great information upfront, as well as knowing their way around Google maps; I am completely SPOILT! I often forget to ask guests if they need directions cos I just assume they know what they're doing!  Think I've said before, we had so many PhDers over one period, I thought I'd accidentally put up a sign saying "PhDs only"!  Needless to say, I've given up on asking them about their field of expertise, cos I never understand their response 😉  Bless 'em 🙂

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

I'm glad you posted this thread @Alexandra316 We always send a 'Thank you for your booking' message.... very similar to yours actually. I too, think it's only good manners. 

I also personalise it according to their initial contact message, but seeing what some of the others have said here..... I think I will be pinching a few ideas! Lol 😉 

Cheers, Michelle 

Catherine232
Level 10
Vancouver, Canada

I do pretty much the same 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Alexandra316, another great topic from you. 

From a guest's point of view, if I book via Instant Book, I always like receiving a message from the host shortly after I book. It doesn't have to have all the check-in details, I just find it reasuring that the host is aware of the booking and I can contact them if I need to. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

@Alexandra316, yes, I always send a message back. I used to say "Thanks for booking." Recently I've been saying "Thanks for choosing the (name of listing)." I let them know I will be sending arrival instructions in a separate message and that I'm happy to answer any questions. When I send the arrival instructions, I have a message at the bottom that asks them to confirm they have received them. If they don't confirm them, I send them again with a note saying "just making sure you've seen these..."

It never occured to me to not acknowledge a booking. I imagine I would find it disappointing as a guest.  To me, Airbnb is all about community and people caring about each other's experience. I think that sets the tone.

Mary1393
Level 2
Heber City, UT

@Alexandra316, yes, I always send acknowlegement of the booking as soon as possible. It seems to be a courteous way to get off on a great start with your guest!

It's helpful to know a little something about the guest to ask about (5th anniversary) or offer a comment when you greet them.(I know you'll enjoy the sleigh ride).

If the person booking only gives their name, I ask them the name of their spouse or friend. That way, I can greet both people by name. I have a little welcome board by the front door that I put their names on so they know for sure they're at the right house!

It's fun to see them smile at the welcome sign bearing their names. 🙂

Sheryl92
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

I communicate with my guests several times prior, during and some after they have check out. 

Prior, to make sure they have my address or if they need anything that I can run out and get for them. Also for arrival time. I enjoy greeting my guests to go over some safety tips such as the kick release on the bedroom window bars etc... and to show them around my space. I make sure they know how to get in contact with me then exchange numbers for easier communication.   

During: I enjoy chatting with my guests about their day or if they won the big game. I've put posters on the entry walls saying  "CONGRADULATIONS"

"GOOD LUCK"

"SMILE"

Silly things. But I also give my guests complete privacy. 

Before check out: I make sure their check out is a breeze, also to let them know I am here to take out their garbages clean etc... When they are ready to walk out the door I always have a thank you note that is personalized to each guest. I thank them and tell them to have a safe trip home, to Come again and even given discount coupons that I honor of they decide to rebook down the road....

So YES always thank your guest without them there wouldn't be any us!

Ps I am a personal consultant for how to become the ultimate host and have numerous ideas to have happier guests who will promote your space allowing you to make top dollar on your airbnb space...

Contact me anytime for your first time free consultation.

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Sheryl92 wrote:

During: I enjoy chatting with my guests about their day or if they won the big game. I've put posters on the entry walls saying  "CONGRADULATIONS"

"GOOD LUCK"

"SMILE"

<snip>

Ps I am a personal consultant for how to become the ultimate host and have numerous ideas to have happier guests who will promote your space allowing you to make top dollar on your airbnb space...

Contact me anytime for your first time free consultation.

**** *[Personal information hidden–in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I am sure that you know this, but when you consult, you will want to correct the spelling: CONGRATULATIONS.

That's prolly a pun on congratulation on graduating (but I'm from the Czech republic so what do I know lol)

wawo thank you for sharing i dn't have any experience before this