Full refunds in June

Graeme48
Level 4
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Full refunds in June

Just got an email from air, to advise that guests who wish to cancel bookings in June, will be getting a full refund and me.... zilch.

The new policy of being “better partners” didn’t last long.

53 Replies 53

you are right!

Hi guest that made reservation under strict cancellation policy without travel insurance should have a little responsibility!  and Im pretty sure that when travel ban started  before they were offer full refund they would have been ok with a 10 or 15% responsibility with a price reduce in a future rental creativity could have been the answer  ! just a little bit of help to host to prevent some from bankruptcy 

outside airbnb with regular tenant I ask for  a deposit that's how it works  its call a contract or a lease  the only difference here is that the entire payment is send to airbnb and host 0$ and airbnb   found ways to keep some of it and lots of it!  As for host who took the entire financial risk receive 0 $ ( almost  pyramidal Maidoff style) but the worst is being ignore as if we were disposable lied too they don't do what they say they will this is a joke we are the joke 

I definitely think we are being mocked of I don't feel real empathy and support   I was very disappointed to see the last update it didn't seem genuine the  20 second talk about the 25% peoples are struggling and they spent most of the time talking about experiences laughing giggling!!! WOW really !

Jonathan1257
Level 5
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

We'll never know why Airbnb didn't have insurance cover or their own captive. All very secretive when the question is asked so close to the IPO. Agree we shut down for the year. No great loss as the bubble pops and reality sets in that markets were overpriced. 

I completely agree. Airbnb always supports guests and screws hosts. They should provide us 100% of our cancelation fees, 25% is absolute bull**bleep**

Andrew.  A host is responsible for providing guests with accommodation.  They are not responsible in insuring that the guest arrives at the accommodation.  

Airbnb are Snakes.

@Paul60  I agree with you, but that doesn't have the slightest thing to do with what I was talking about. 

Airbnb are Snakes.

@Anonymous  So you believe my statement which you agree with has nothing got to do with your below comment?   'Then it does beg the question of why you believe you should still be paid for bookings that you can't realistically fulfill. '

Airbnb are Snakes.

@Paul60  If the guest can't arrive because your location is under lockdown, or non-essential travel to/within your area has been restricted or deemed unsafe, then it's not just a matter of the guest failing to arrive. The host is also not able to fulfill their responsibility to provide  the accommodation. 

@Anonymous  In many cases that is not the case.  There are many cites throughout the world that are not in lockdown.  Furthermore it is unlikely that there will be any cities in lockdown during the month of June.  Airbnb however has taken the lazy option of applying a blanket policy worldwide.  But is still leads us to the same position - why should the host take the full responsibility for this?   Why couldn't the only option be is free reschedule with the same host?

Airbnb needs a drastic culture change.  

And this whole issue is not just about Covid.  Ask any experienced host and they will tell you the same - Airbnb are constantly biased in favour of the guest.  Take the standard extenuating circumstances policy.  If a guest is sick and can't travel - do they get refunded 100%?  Hell yeah just provide a little doctors note and sorted easy peasy.  What makes matters worse is the case managers aren't doing their jobs correctly - are they correctly validating the guests claim?  most definitely not.  

Oh and Airbnb are unable to share the documentation with the hosts due to data protection laws. Fair enough however Airbnb could easily change their policy to incorporate that.  For me thats the first point that needs to be changed.  

My biggest issue?  I do not trust Airbnb.  I do not trust that they know what they're doing.  I do not trust that they have the experience to do the right thing.  Thankfully anybody who is smart and experienced can see through all their glossy and vague messages.  Is their policy purposely vague?

Paul

Airbnb are Snakes.

Actually, it seems that the hosts have become the worlds insurance underwriter. 

Guests who fail to take any reasonable precaution against unforseen circumstances by insuring themselves are refunded in direct contradiction of the host cancellation policy using money that contractually at least partly belongs to the host.

Airbnb sets itself up as a meeting place and is at pains to set out that it is not party to any contract between the host and the guest yet rides roughshod over the contract that exists between the host and the guest at will.

Even more insulting and offensive to hosts is the other part of this special policy whereby, if the guests flight is cancelled, a full refund is available also.

Seems that hosts are expected to accept responsibility for the failures of both airlines and guests in this situation too.  In fact, even if a guest has travel insurance, I would venture to suggest it's easier to call Airbnb and get a refund than it is to make the legitimate claim against the travel insurance policy.

We're even responsible, apparently for road closures that might prevent a guest from travelling to the listing.

Clearly the current situation is ununsual, however, guests enter into a contract with the host and expect the host to abide by the terms thereof.  It doesn't seem to work the other way around though once Airbnb decides that is is a higher authority than the contract between guest and host.

It certainly doesn't promote confidence on the part of the host and is starting to raise questions about just how reliable Airbnb is and actually is there any guarantee that Airbnb won't step in and void the reservation.

This also happens when a guest fails to pay at the point of booking, Airbnb doesn't void the reservation request, it simply makes the host wait for the payment to come through, like we run a charity allowing people to sort out their finances whilst blocking our calendar.  I'd like to see how many poeple walk out of the supermarket with a full trolley if their card is declined at the checkout.

Jonathan1257
Level 5
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

It's all about the guest taking the burden as the host is the model here. Without the host doing the legwork you have no guests. Guests will jump to other sites just like that. 

So will hosts. Watch what happens now.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I haven't had this email (maybe because I don't have any future reservations in my calendar?), but it is helpful for me as I've booked a couple of places in Tel Aviv for June.

I'm currently thinking it'll be impossible to get to Tel Aviv (be it UK Govt advice, the Israel govt denying entry, or the airline folding/pulling the route), so it's useful to know what the 'what if' scenario might entail.

If it's not too personalised, @Mike-And-Jane0, can you share the email here? 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Gordon0,

I hope you are doing ok. 

Yes, the emails that were sent out yesterday went to hosts who have reservations coming up in June. 

I hope you are able to sort out your trip to Tel Aviv. You've had some bad luck with your trips this year–crossing my fingers for you, for future trips. I'm quite looking forward of getting out of London once we are given the go ahead to spread our wings a little further. 

Speak to you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie   Hi there - I got the email, even though  my next reservation isn't until August.  My calendar from now until August is empty.  I have 3 bookings left - one for August, one for September, and one for October.  All were booked early in February.