Full refunds in June

Graeme48
Level 4
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Full refunds in June

Just got an email from air, to advise that guests who wish to cancel bookings in June, will be getting a full refund and me.... zilch.

The new policy of being “better partners” didn’t last long.

53 Replies 53

I'd cancel them all if out of state.  75% of mine are in State and driving but this B/S is unacceptable when the State is reopened May 1, and almost all counties are open as of this last Monday.  Trust I'm blowing up their phones until I get a Supervisor.  

Once completed with reservation for the year I'm done with Air bnb.  Can't even get the promised 25%.....must be broke but they go public??

I'm thinking about an "opening plan".  At some point, people are going to be travelling in the "new normal".  

I have a separate space in my home, with its own entrance.  I'm considering a cleaning protocol, and other safe opening measures, in line with those our governor is discussing, for opening the state, when the science and the data indicates it might be safe to do so. 

While it isn't likely that large events will be scheduled, I think there may be certain types of travel that may occur, on a limited basis.   I'm planning ahead for that.

For my guests who choose to cancel, later in the year, I have a moderate policy anyway, so I will let them decide what they'd prefer to do.   

Prior scheduled guests who have cancelled have indicated they'd come back, if and when they are able to.   

This virus is going to be with us for a long time. We're going to have to formulate reasonable plans to deal with it, even once a vaccine has been developed, because we know that not everyone will take a vaccine. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzie

The aeroplanes are still flying over head here in Auckland... It's nice to see them...would be great to see some more tourists back in the country.

Maybe you could make that long overdue trip down under to the Pacific Ocean region

🏄🏊🍦💤🐶🐄🐑🐏🐩🐔🐳🐋🐟 🦀🐚 🦉🦅🦆🦐🐠🕊 🦇🦋🐌🐝🐜 🦗🐛🐞🕷🕸💃🏇🏌🏂 🤽🚣 🤸✍🙌 🦑🐬 🦈🦎🐊🎄👙🕶🎨🎻🎹🍦🍝 🥘🍰🎂💐🌺🌸🌻🏵🌼🌷 🥀🌱🌵🌴🌳🌲🌾🌿🍀🍁🍃🍂 🥂🍻🍺🍹🍸🍷🍾🍇🍈🍉😊🍌🍋🍍🍎🍒🍑🍐🍏🍓🍅:eggplant:🌽 🥒🍄🌶 🥦🥕🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑

Jen5
Level 7
Chandler, AZ

I just received the email and may take advantage of the opportunity to cancel my one remaining booking for June. It's just too much of a hassle for me if guests can cancel at the last minute. If the guests are sure they want to come, they can rebook. Otherwise, I'd rather keep the listing open for those who are comfortable with a strict cancellation policy.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 Here you go:

Dear Mike And Jane,

The coronavirus continues to disrupt the travel industry, and millions of Airbnb hosts and guests are on lockdown.

We’ve been working with hosts like you to shape our ongoing response to the pandemic through over a hundred listening sessions in more than 30 countries. One thing we’ve heard is that you want advance notice and options to engage with guests directly when things change. Here’s what you need to know.

Guests may need to cancel June reservations due to COVID-19

If travel continues to be disrupted, the Extenuating Circumstances policy may cover 3 of your June reservations that were booked before 15 March.

What that would mean for you

• If a guest’s travel plans are affected by COVID-19, they will have the option to reschedule.

• If they need to cancel, they will receive a full refund or travel credit, and you won’t receive a payout.

• These reservations will not be eligible for any payment under our $250m support initiative, since the programme only covers check-in dates until 31 May.

Here’s what you can do

• Keep the dialogue going with guests. Some guests may need extra assurance right now – get in touch to see if they have any concerns that you can address.

• Cancel penalty-free by 30 April. Whether you’re unable to host or you want to open your calendar for longer-term stays, you can now cancel any upcoming reservations this year booked before 15 March. You won’t pay a fee, have your calendar blocked, or have your Superhost status affected.

As a reminder, guests will not be refunded if they need to cancel reservations booked after 14 March due to COVID-19.

COVID-19 is the most difficult thing we’ve had to endure as a business, and we know the same is true for many of our hosts. There are no perfect answers right now, but we hope this update gives you clarity. We’ll be in touch on 1 May with an update. In the meantime, you can check Airbnb.com/COVIDfor real-time information.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

Airbnb, Inc.

888 Brannan St.

San Francisco, CA 94103

Thanks Mick and Jan 0

I'm currently stuck in Dubai until who knows when because all flights are cancelled into the forseeable future. There is no way I can nor want to get back to my two-family, two-listing home to prepare for summer guests. I also clean my own listings and am "of a certain age" so am at risk even though I'm more than perfectly healthy. I do not and now CANNOT have a 2020 Airbnb business.

I read from the above letter that I can as a host cancel my reservations for the summer and not be charged a penalty and will maintain my super host status. This is different from other posts I've seen that say I will be charged a $50 or $100 fee. I want to send out messages to my guests cancelling from my end but want to be perfectly sure that I won't be penalized. If I understand it this also will allow the guest to not be charged a service fee. I want clarification please before I send out all my messages.

Thanks so much.

Hi @Norene1 

I would contact Customer Services to check and then get on and cancel. You only have until April 30th so don't leave it too long

Stay safe

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

@Mike-And-Jane0 I'm glad to see this letter here, it just showed me how airbnb is treating hosts diferently country by country. I got the same letter, but one of the points is different. Yours says "If travel continues to be disrupted, the Extenuating Circumstances policy may cover 3 of your June reservations that were booked before 15 March."

Mine on the other hand says "If travel continues to be disrupted, the Extenuating Circumstances policy may cover 1 of your June reservations that were booked before 15 March."

So here is just 1 reservation....

@Luana130  How weird. We had 3 reservations for June booked before March 15.  - How many did you have?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Luana130,

Thanks for this. Just to confirm, the number of bookings stated in the email, is customised to each host who received this email–so going by your message, you should only have one reservation in June 2020 that was booked before 15 March.  

I hope this helps. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

If I am no longer able to host,  can I just cancel those reservations on my end without penalty or do I need to contact customer service?

@Melanie189 

If you have received the email then surely the answer is yes. But it is time limited to Apr 30th so probably best to cancel by the end of play on the 29th in case they have a weird concept of dates/timezones.

Please let us know how it goes.

@Mike-And-Jane0 I was able to cancel all upcoming reservations through the platform penalty free. I did have to go through the website and not the phone app.

I just read this email and I am so disappointed. I have been a SuperHost for over 5 years, I have been committed and loyal. Why is it that hosts don't get reimbursed when it is entirely out of our control? If it were the other way around hosts would be penalized some how. I feel like AirBnB gives all the allowances to guests but very little support to the hosts, who are the backbone of the community. I am so frustrated. Is there anyone who will listen to hosts facing financial despair because of ABNB unwillingness to offer adequate financial support to their hosts. I also was told that qualifying for the "grant" is subjective so ABNB decides who gets the grant, even if you are a SuperHost and they think you have enough money to survive you won't get it. How do they know what your personal financial situation is? How is this fair to hosts??

Its like the b/s loan for small business'.  We ask for a crummy 35000 for our employees but they dole out 10 million to Shake Shack.  What a joke.  Now lets see if we can get assistance from the new stimulus so we can help out our employees with families.  At the rate of millions going out to companies that have PLENTY I'm not at all hopeful.  Maybe Air bnb qualifies to get some money and pay us the 25% which still hasn't been paid!!