Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Guest Reviews: "Value" rating is a problem

Airbnb really needs to help guests understand what is meant by "value."  What is value?  What does that even mean?  Is it the price for the accomdation?  Is it the inherent value a guest gets personally from staying at your place?  Is value tied to the type of furniture, art, kitchen utensiles, or towels?  It is SUPER confusing for guests.  

We were recently knocked to 4 stars for value because one guest wanted us to have king beds (this when our listing clearly states in 3 places that we have queen beds) and then again when a guest said our brand-new mattresses were too hard for "their old backs."  Is that really what "value" means?

71 Replies 71

I think Airbnb should eliminate "value" from their ratings. It's too subjective and honestly, I had mostly 5's but I wonder what people who give me a 4 or a 3 think they are getting when they show up with four adults, have three bedrooms, 1500 square feet, cable, a washer and dryer, snacks, etc.) but pay LESS than a single room in a Best Western?

Value is a stupid rating. Maybe we as hosts should come up with suggestions for how we want to be rated.  OR we should be allowed to revise our star ratings of those same guests after we see their evaluations.

I had 5 adults in a 2-level cabin, furnished with Pottery Barn, West Elm, Marriott, Westin stuffs, fully stocked kitchen, free wine and chocolates, free last minute firewoods delivered in snow storm leaving me a 4-star for value. The nightly rate was way less than what Westin will charge you on a night like this around xmas for lesser decor, design, kitchen and freebies. 

@Christine615 wrote:

Value is a stupid rating. Maybe we as hosts should come up with suggestions for how we want to be rated.  OR we should be allowed to revise our star ratings of those same guests after we see their evaluations.

Yes, fully agreed. I think we need to have a "conversation" around these scores if they are less than 5 where Airbnb forces guests to add a justification for these less-than-5-scores. And allow hosts to respond to these. And allow future guests to see these and decide for themselves.

Emily607
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

A recent guest marked me down for "value" due to the nationwide Centurylink internet outage which was completely outside of my control. I don't think this is useful information for future guests. 

@Emily0 - that's crazy!!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Michael-and-Dru0. As Airbnb is a rental platform, it makes it a commercial business. Bottom line = $.

Value in commerce will always mean the dollar/ euro / other monetary value.

The other definitions are merely philosophical and abstract terms. 

@Cathe0 I'd like to think you are correct, but given the nature of the discussions in these threads, guests seem to put many other factors into the word "value."  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michael & Dru, both of your listings have a 5 star rating for Value. Don't worry so much about the individual star ratings. Future guests looking at your listing cannot see what individual guests have rated you. You are still getting bookings and guests are still paying your rates? Isn’t that what really matters?

Exactly! If you get bookings then your price is right.  I’ve stopped worrying about things beyond my control.

Set your standards, your terms & your prices and stick with them. The proof is in the bookings!

Bl0
Level 2
Puerto Rico

Unfortunatelly, we don't have any say in the value rating and the rating does not give the guest an option to make suggestions or comments, without affecting the star rating.  I wonder if the guest had clear, simple  instructions on rating value, they would have still given you a 5 star.  I don't brake my head over this because after all, it is not my main source of income, just an opportunity to leverage and offer something that I know can benefit someone else.

@Bl1 I think the point here is that "value," left undefined, can mean anything to anyone.  Likewise "accuracy" is a very obscure term.  Accuracy about what?  Photos, description?  Everything rolled into one?  Airbnb really needs to give guests some guidance on what these terms mean so guests can correctly rate and review a host.

Agree!

@Emilia42 Yes, you are correct.  The problem is, however, that those 4 star ratings given arbitrarily eventually effect our status as a super host.  It's important for airbnb to give guests some guidance about what those terms mean.

@Michael & Dru, only the overall rating will affect your Superhost status. Your cottages are beautiful. As you keep getting more and more reviews I think you will find that 4 star ratings are far and few between. I had this blurb added to my welcome binder (many other hosts here have something similar.) I have been very pleased with all my reviews after adding this. You may want to consider something with an emphasis on value. 

Regarding your review following your stay in our Airbnb

Please note that the 5 star rating system is NOT like a ‘hotel’ rating system:

As Airbnb ‘Super Hosts’ we do all we can to ensure that our property meets your expectations, as based on our listing description, photos, and reviews. A 5 star (super) host is one who consistently gives their guests what they promise. Guests who rate their hosts with 5 stars for the ‘Overall Experience’ category are saying they were happy with their stay and want future guests to know it. Reading the reviews of previous guests will help potential future guests feel confident in their stay. Therefore, please let us know if you are disappointed or dissatisfied with your stay or any aspect of your stay while you are still here so we have a chance to address the issue and ensure that your stay is a ‘5 Star’ experience, and all you hoped it would be. *When rating us on your ‘Overall Experience’, we only ask that you remember that we cannot control our location or the weather!"

@Emilia42 I love your departure letter!  We also send one, but you have some really helpful wording in here for guests to think about what they are doing with their reviews.  

Departure letter we have been using:

We work very hard for 5-Star reviews as they help our business greatly.  This property is our small family business and positive remarks go a long way for us! If you enjoyed your stay, and wouldn't mind, could you please write us a review about your favorite parts of staying with us?  Also, if you had anything go wrong or have suggestions on how we could improve, would you please be willing to send them to us in this messenger as we welcome your feedback and love to insure the greatest comfort for you and other future guests. 

If you don't mind, I'd like to add some of your language to our letter.  Please let me know.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michael & Dru, of course! I actually borrowed this from another member of this community. We are all such a great resource to one another.