Guest Trying to Book House but Airbnb Isn’t Allowing Due to Covid-19 Help

Answered!
Colby16
Level 4
Pleasant Ridge, MI

Guest Trying to Book House but Airbnb Isn’t Allowing Due to Covid-19 Help

All, 

I have a neighbor who is trying to book my house for her family that live an hour away for the weekend of March 28th. AirBnb is declining their attempt to book my house or any other in the area. It is saying, “choose another place to stay. As part of our commitment to your safety, certain last-minute bookings of entire homes are restricted right now. You can still book a HOTEL or a private room for your stay”

I am quite confused on why a private room differs from an entire house rental. You still have most of the house during the private room. I had them try to book other houses and gave the same message. We are in Michigan and thought maybe it would be a travel restriction, but nothing.

Has anyone has this issue yet or spoken to customer service about it?

1 Best Answer

@Susan17 Thanks for the link to the other conversations. The overall situation is very unfortunate.

One workaround that I've found to still allow guests to book is to have them book a few weeks after the dates they want and then change the reservation dates to the dates they actually prefer. It is a few more steps, but it worked every time I've done it.  

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45

@Ameriwhere-Inc0 

Airbnb do tend adopt this 'sledgehammer' approach to problem solving and I have found, the best way around this is not to have all your eggs in one basket!

I am listed on another platform, although I keep the listing there snoozed most of the time.

I had a message about a one night enquiry for 30th December last year. It was a message because Airbnb would not let the guest book that night despite the fact the listing was available.

I received a notification from Airbnb that the booking program had assessed that this may have been a party booking and on that basis had refused the reservation.

The message I had received was from a guest who has stayed here with us before, his booking was for himself, his wife and his 8 and 3 year old children. Obviously I wanted to have this guest stay again but the system was getting in the way. I even called CX and explained the situation but they told me there was nothing they could do! They did not have the ability to override the program and had the cheek to tell me it was for my own protection!!!

No problem, in the message stream I cryptically told the guest to book through the other platform I use and 15 minutes later.......booking success. The only ones who missed out were Airbnb!

We have to work with what we have got using Airbnb, and it always pays to have a plan B.

Cheers.......Rob