Guest asking to view property after booking

Ciara143
Level 2
Ballivor, Ireland

Guest asking to view property after booking

Hi, 

I have recently had requests from potential guests to view the property and I just didn't feel right about it. I myself have used Airbnb and never viewed anywhere prior to staying. Today I have a confirmed booking but they are now requesting to view the house as they only live a short 15min/20min drive away.

Any advice on how people have dealt with these queries before?

I have photos up of all rooms and have tried to be as informative as possible 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Ciara143 I would be more concerned as to why these folks have booked with you if they live nearby. If you allow them to view they may cancel their booking. Likewise if you don't they may cancel their booking. What is your cancellation policy?

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ciara143 

Ciara, there may be a genuine reason why a local booked guest would want to view your property before the scheduled stay. There may be a disability involved and they need to assess the suitability of your listing. Their own property may be undergoing renovations and they want to get an idea of facilities they need close to you. But there is an overwhelming body of evidence that guests who go down this path will use any such visit to their advantage. 

1/......They will gain enough information to cancel the Airbnb booking and attempt to book with you direct in an attempt to get a better nightly rate.

2/......They will see something that is not to their liking and cancel the reservation and look elsewhere.

3/......As they are locals they are sizing up your properties suitability to hold a party/function of some sort.

Ciara guests fall into two camps, they either like what they see and just want to stay, or they want to take advantage of you and haggle about what you offer. Hagglers never make good guests and in your situation I would get onto Airbnb and tell CS this guests is asking for conditions contrary to Airbnb's rules and tell them you don't feel comfortable proceeding with the reservation! 

I would not take the risk, just from your description they sound pushy, I would stay well clear!

Cheers.......Rob

Renee291
Level 7
Cincinnati, OH

Someone booking in the area they live in is always high risk, usually a party risk. What do they need to know that they can't see in your listing? If there is something legitimate, perhaps you need to update your listing. I would inform them that personal viewing is against Airbnb policy and let it take its course.  If they cancel, you may be better off as they may prove to be high maintenance guests.

Ciara143
Level 2
Ballivor, Ireland

Thank you for responses 😊. They have really good reviews and have 3 adults and 3 children down as the guests. I have asked what their reasoning is for requesting a viewing and mentioned that it is against Airbnb policies but if there is anything they need to know that I am happy to help out. I know that Google maps shows area of house location but I have had a few looking to view house but only one who has booked and now wants to view. The fact they are so close by and already coming from a coastal town has me a little weary