Guest consumables & extras

Answered!
Elfi90
Level 1
Todos Santos, Mexico

Guest consumables & extras

I host one small guest cottage. I provide my guests with enough bottled water for a few days, ample toilet paper, soap, paper napkins, cleaning essentials etc. It is my understanding that guests should then provide these things for themselves if they run out. (Of course I’ll always give them more if they didn’t make it to the store). There are three markets within 3 mins walking distance from my property. I have pointed this out to my current guests so they know where to go to get more. They continue to categorically ignore my comments and keep asking for more water, TP etc. 

what is the most common Airbnb policy? Do you provided all consumables for the duration of the stay if it’s beyond one week? They don’t get the message and I’m trying to be polite… I am not a concierge service or shopping assistant. Any advice?

Thanks so much!

Elfi

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Many hosts provide a starter pack for guests and then they provide additional supplies themselves.

presumably you make it clear in your visitor guide that you just provide starter supplies . If so direct them to guidance and provide names of local shop's for additional supplies . 

@Elfi90 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Many hosts provide a starter pack for guests and then they provide additional supplies themselves.

presumably you make it clear in your visitor guide that you just provide starter supplies . If so direct them to guidance and provide names of local shop's for additional supplies . 

@Elfi90 

Hi @Elfi90 For all my listings I provide basic supplies including toiletries, paper products, cleaning necessities, kitchen basics etc. My rule of thumb is to have enough for what an average person might consume/use in a week (Ex a 4 pack of toilet paper)

In the beginning I learned the hard way though about replenishing supplies consistently for long term stays, as I have had handfuls of guests go through an exorbitant number of products such as a roll of paper towels a day or an entire large container of coffee in less than 24 hrs. 

For extended stays I now include a nice little blurb in their welcome message that states they will be provided the necessities to get them started, however if things need to be replenished during their stay, they will be responsible for doing so. I offer a welcome/information binder in their room which provides a number of retail options where they can obtain pretty much anything. 

Thanks @Jennifer1897 . Really good advice. I will do the same for future bookings😊👍🏼👍🏼

Very cool I’ll be doing that too 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Elfi90 we provide enough for the whole stay unless people are staying for over 3 weeks or so.

Noua aussi nous fournissons assez pour les voyageurs.Et on peut communiquer avec eux a tout moment pour s,assurer que tout va bien.

For your immediate guest, could you drop off a pack of water/  TP with a gracious note referencing you wanted to stock them up. & mention, your next delivery of supplies isn’t until. (After the date they checkout) and if need they more….directions to the closest store..

We leave closed bottles of tap water, as offered at many restaurants, guests love.  Did you  considered offering filtered water or tap instead of bottled? 

We leave extra paper product, no matter how long stay, in case it is needed for water overflow, spills, etc….