Guest last minute telling me she is bringing 3 large dogs

Answered!
Jody141
Level 6
Auburntown, TN

Guest last minute telling me she is bringing 3 large dogs

Good grief I seem to be having the “it rains it pours” effect today! 

I had a guest send an inquiry for a full week for 2 people and one dog. 
I was hesitant because she had been a member of Airbnb since 2017 with zero reviews but my BF who is less cynical said to approve. 

Today she informs me she is bringing three large dogs. She goes on to say that two are service dogs and she has doctors notes. But- she goes on to say that they will be crated in the house when they go out. She tipped her hand because by law, a service dog has to be with the person 24/7. I’m quite familiar with ADA law. 

Had this guest told the truth about 3 dogs in the inquiry I would not have accepted. No way. 

Additionally my listing states I only take 2 dogs over 40 lbs. 
I need to add that my Airbnb is on my property on 46 acres. 

I have reached out to Airbnb but I also wanted to see what other hosts think. 

I know we are required to take service dogs but multiple? 
I might just take my annual mulligan and cancel this one. Ugh! 

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jody141 @Colleen253 @Mark116  Airbnb should ban guests like this from the platform. (Yes, I know that realistically, they won't) 

To allow them to continue to have an account, when it is obvious that they blatantly lied about the "service animal", cancelling as soon as they are informed they can't leave the dog alone (which a real service dog handler would never do, anyway) gives the lie to Airbnb actually caring about discrimination against those with service dogs. Because the liars are the actual discriminators- they couldn't care less that they are the ones who make things difficult for those with real service animals, as the service dog claim is not trusted.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jody141It says right in the Airbnb assistance animal policy that assistance animals must not be left unattended at the listing, given their role. Just show Airbnb her message and ask them to cancel penalty free for you, based on that. 

@Colleen253 

Brilliant. I had not seen the bit about not leaving the dogs at the Airbnb. 
I sent the screenshot to her and she cancelled immediately. 
I’m going to take a break from hosting guests with pets. It’s a bummer because I have sport and performance dogs I travel with and I use Airbnb all the time but I just need a break. 
Thanks for the double assist today! 

@Jody141  Whenever I send the text and link about 'service animals' not being left alone in the property, it has always resulted in the guest canceling or withdrawing the request.  

@Mark116  

Ha! They are busted. 
It’s a great strategy! 

@Jody141 Well, that was easy 😜

I like animals, and have my own pets, but I don’t allow pets at my listing, mostly because Airbnb doesn’t support pet friendly hosts. Also, too many irresponsible pet owners. 

@Colleen253  

I agree. The majority of them don’t pick up poop despite the roll of bags clearly on the counter, I’ve had many let their dogs swim in the creek and not bother to wipe them off after but instead just let them run into the house, and more. 
I might let show dog people stay. They tend to crate like I do all the time and are better at cleaning up. 
Cheers! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jody141 @Colleen253 @Mark116  Airbnb should ban guests like this from the platform. (Yes, I know that realistically, they won't) 

To allow them to continue to have an account, when it is obvious that they blatantly lied about the "service animal", cancelling as soon as they are informed they can't leave the dog alone (which a real service dog handler would never do, anyway) gives the lie to Airbnb actually caring about discrimination against those with service dogs. Because the liars are the actual discriminators- they couldn't care less that they are the ones who make things difficult for those with real service animals, as the service dog claim is not trusted.

@Sarah977 @Colleen253 @Mark116 

I couldn’t agree more. 
My place is great for people with real service dogs. I’ve had two guests who had legit service dogs and they were wonderful. 
I will add, the guest I was dealing with had a rather provocative photo; it was her “training” an attack dog, but oddly she had zero protective gear. 

I think it’s almost time for an adult beverage! 

@Jody141  Oh great- she was planning on showing up with 3 attack dogs. Charming. 

@Sarah977 

Bingo. 
And since the Airbnb sits on 46 acres and I’m onsite- my dogs (small) would have been limited in their movement for fear of …. Well you know. 

@Jody141 Go for the beverage. Its always 5 o'clock somewhere, and you've earned it today.