Guests - Groom requires to have photo shoot at the property and outside due to a wedding

The-Brindley-Hall-Team0
Level 2
Kinver, United Kingdom

Guests - Groom requires to have photo shoot at the property and outside due to a wedding

Hello there, 

hope someone can share any information. We do provide accommodation just over 2 years on Airbnb with obvious challenges as time goes but had some great guests. I found recent few weeks guests are much more difficult and not satisfied with anything after the lock-down life.  Recently I had an enquiry for 1 night stay of 3 men "stay before a wedding day". This property is aimed mostly for couples resp. their kids to relax and enjoy countryside, footpaths and nearby entertainments.  Our requirement is 2 night stay. After the booking they are trying add photo-shoot of 7 people on the day of check out with groom. Obviously we do not provide grounds and garden to guests as it's under maintenance and landscaping as the property was neglected for at least 2-4 generations and we have this under our house rules, neither pictures taken at the property.  How would you approach the photo shoot ? Their approach is if they won't be able to do it, they will cancel the stay, which is fair enough. For me question is has anyone try to provide this kind of service?

Regards, B

15 Replies 15
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@The-Brindley-Hall-Team0 If your requirement is for 2 night minimum then they won't be able to book anyway. I think I would encourage the guest to cancel by saying the garden is not suitable for photo shoots

Thank you, her fiance requested and kindly asked before booking, that she is looking for 1 night accommodation for the husband to be for the day prior to their wedding. I said yes, just because it's a special moment for someone to stay the night before the wedding. Then it changed to 3 men staying over night for the night, which is fine and they are happy due to accommodation type and the layout of the property. Just not sure how I feel about the photo-shoot.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I believe under our current Covid legislation you can only accept guests from a maximum of two households - does this booking meet this criteria? @The-Brindley-Hall-Team0 

in terms of the photo shoot - you are offering a STR not a photo shoot venue and your guests should have no expectation that you can provide such an amenity particularly as you say you make it clear on your listing grounds are not an amenity that is on offer to those booking your STR. Nor should they looking to bring an additional 7 people onto your property. 

Just confirm to your guests they have booked accommodation to stay in not a photo shoot location, that the outdoor space doesn't form part of the property they booked. 

say you are sorry to hear they want to cancel and that if they want to do so, they need to contact Airbnb who will process their cancellation under the policy they booked under. 

why did you accept a one night booking by the way when you have a minimum two night. Stay ? 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@The-Brindley-Hall-Team0  Regardless of the photo shoot, I would decline this booking. 3 guys staying pre-wedding sounds to me like a stag party. 

Debra48
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Agree with everyone else: cancel. Never bend your rules. Stand by them from the get go. If you lose a guest as a result, who cares? A better one will come along. 

The-Brindley-Hall-Team0
Level 2
Kinver, United Kingdom

Thanks all, you are right! I think I was a bit disappointed by last two guests so was doubting myself! 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@The-Brindley-Hall-Team0 so you've already accepted the one night booking? I would suggest just sticking to your rules in the future: if you have a two night minimum, stick with it. 

However, now you have the booking. I would explain the situation with the outdoors and ask them what their expectations are around taking photos. I've had the guys from a wedding party stay at my place a few times and had them take pics, and I've had  absolutely no problems with behaviour or the photoshoot. In my experience the photographer takes some getting ready pics and and a few shots outside and that's it. If you think their requirements are more than that or they otherwise don't seem reasonable, I would just say no, sorry, and invite them to cancel.

After we both aggred 3 people per night and booking was confirmed. Nearly 2 days after her booking she contacted us afterwards with requirement of the photoshoot, otherwise they will cancel. They cancelled so I feel I made the right decision. 

@The-Brindley-Hall-Team0  You say that your house rules state no photo shoots, but in fact it says no photos without owner's permission. You also state no extra visitors without owner's permission.

So the guests did what it says- asked for permission.

If you don't want people to assume it's okay with permission, then you should make both those rules hard nos, not leave an opening for them to ask.

Thank you, that's good point of view! 

Hope you're still going to receive some payment @The-Brindley-Hall-Team0 

did you find out whether they met the two household rule @The-Brindley-Hall-Team0 

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

I think everyone is being a bit narrow-minded in their comments. As hosts, you should be proud of your property and honoured a guest would want to do a photo shoot. I see the outdoor photos of your property on your ad and they are beyond beautiful. 

Why not look at this as a revenue opportunity? Charge an additional fee for each person over 4 including the photographer, ensure the extra guests stay outside and will not have access to the house. 

If they are there anyway, why not make some extra revenue?

Jorge

Thank you, they wouldn't pay for any extra. They felt they already stretched their budget for wedding. I agree garden is beautiful by it's wild nature but we are trying to make better version of itself as how it used to be many many many years ago. The pictures were taken straight when we moved in, so there was many years of layers of leaves, the garden is looking better and keeping on top of the leaves but yeah have been lots of work and costs ahead. 

Not narrow minded @Angelica-Y-Jorge0  we have only just been released from a major lockdown after thousands died here because of Covid.

We don't know if even the original booking met our Covid regulations for STRs - a max of two households- having 9 at the property almost 100% wouldn't.

these guests wanted to access a part of the property that  @The-Brindley-Hall-Team0 has stated it clearly says isn't available and don't want to pay for the privilege and would be breaking our Covid legislation vas you can bet they'd want to use the inside of the property too.

not narrow minded - but sensible and responsible