Guests who don’t read info properly and then review based on what they haven’t read properly 🙈

Jane2692
Level 3
Bad Soden, Germany

Guests who don’t read info properly and then review based on what they haven’t read properly 🙈

We have had a great run of guests recently- ie the lovely ones who arrive and go with no issues. But also the odd annoying guests who just have to find something to complain about. The only thing these guests can currently find to complain about is the lack of parking.

But the fact is that we write at least three times in the house description that there is no parking, all parking is on street etc. Basically what I would like to say is if you want guaranteed parking, please book elsewhere!

So 99% of guests seem to be able to read the info but the annoying guests are the ones who are then giving a poor review for location based on the parking situation- which we have told them about and made clear in the house description.

i already mention the no parking in the first sentence of the house description; repeat it again in the rules (which they agree to) and again a little reminder in the message (don’t forget there’s no parking space with the house 😊) sent a week before arrival.

i even personally spoke with a guest last time who asked about the parking and she still marked the rating for location down in the review….based on there being no parking!!!! 

we are hiding absolutely nothing in the house description but feel like we are being penalised anyway.

i have asked Airbnb for help as the rating is being knocked down for something we tell guests about and cannot do anything about.

Has anyone got any advice please?

9 Replies 9
Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jane2692,

If I were you, I'd post a picture of a Street Parking Only sign.  I made one just now by copying a street sign image from a Google search, and then overlaying my own text.  This will be for the guests that tell you they missed reading it, because we know people think that reading is as dangerous as looking at the sun during a solar eclipse.

Street Parking Only.jpg

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Jane2692
Level 3
Bad Soden, Germany

Brilliant! I will do that! Maybe also stick it on the fridge door too!!!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

People book what they can afford and then complain about everything that is missing or doesn't suit their needs or tastes. This phenomenon is not only on Airbnb, it is also in Facebook groups for long-term rentals

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Branka-and-Silvia0,

Exactly, many guests expect champagne for the beer money that was spent.  My guesthouse is a 5-10 minute drive from the middle of many tourist areas.  We price our spaces taking into account that guests will have to either walk, take a bus or taxi, or rent a vehicle.  Most guests, with or without a vehicle, typically leave the guesthouse just twice a day, once in the day time, and then again in the evening.  Taking a taxi is more reasonably priced that renting a vehicle, because a roundtrip taxi ride is about $20 USD, and a vehicle rental is at least $70 USD, plus fuel cost.  The bus is not as convenient as a personal vehicle, but it costs a little more than $1 USD each way to get to most of the hot spots.

We once had a guest from Martinique who booked on another platform, after showing up said she wasn't staying, and wanted a refund because they'd have to take a taxi to go to places.  I said she didn't have to stay, but declined the refund demand, and told her that a room in the tourist area would have cost four times what we charged.  She stayed, because she knew she'd have to pay much more for another place.  The details about our location and transportation options are clearly stated in the listing description, and we send out written directions (translated versions, also) with the Google Maps Pin, and a picture map where the guest can see or search the distance and travel duration to desired destinations.  

Debra300_0-1652142111203.jpeg

This is a map that we send to people who come to stay with us for a weekend to attend the Gros Islet Friday Night Street Party.  An extremely popular and well known attraction for both locals and visitors that's been happening for over 40 years (pandemic closure from March 2020 to May 2022).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jane2692 

When you message your guests, reminding them that there is no parking, do you ask them to confirm that they understand and agree to that? I know it sounds a bit much, but I've learnt that I need to do that (not with parking, as for some reason I have never had guests complain about the lack of parking at my property), but with other things such as stairs, rooms facing busy roads, that I have three cats etc.

Although the guests have to 'agree' to the house rules in theory, many still don't read them. Even if they do 'agree', it doesn't mean they won't complain later. I have learnt, through some not so great experiences, that with certain key points (if those are sticklers for you, which it sounds like the parking is), I literally need the guests to spell out in a message to me that they are, e.g. "Yes, I understand that there is no parking at the property and I am fine with that."

Once you do that, they really can't complain about it and, if they do, it's so easy to say,  "Oh, I'm surprised by that. You messaged me to say you were fine with it..." That normally shuts them up.

Jane2692
Level 3
Bad Soden, Germany

I will do that!! I guess I was thinking reminding them is enough but yes a confirmation that is understand does seem necessary 🙈

@Jane2692  I find that the best time to discuss any detail that might be a deal-breaker is in the pre-booking correspondence. Most people don't seem to read very carefully before Instant Booking, but if they have to send a request, you have that chance to engage them on any topics that might lead to a not-great review and make them really think about what they want out of their stay. Every now and then, one or both of you will realize it's not the best fit and spare yourselves from a disappointing experience. 

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jane2692,

@Anonymous, is correct.  However, depending upon the booking advance notice setting and selected cancellation policy, a host with Instant Booking enabled may still have the opportunity to engage in communication with the guest before arrival to determine whether it's a good fit.

I don't accept last minute bookings, and have a two day minimum notice and Firm cancellation policy.  Guests have up to 30 days before arrival for a full refund, and those who book at least 14 days in advance receive a 48 hour grace period for a full refund.  I communicate with guests during the pre-arrival period, and re-emphasize things like distance to local attractions, we are on a hillside, the neighborhood is hilly, the driveway has a steep slope, and our place isn't a good fit for people with mobility issues.  Alas, people will tell you that they understand, and then upon arrival say, "Wow, I thought it was closer to XX, or it looked flatter on Google Maps."  Sometimes there is just no wining.

Joanne155
Level 4
San Gregorio, CA

YUP - I am finding that some guest just DO NOT read or even look at photos ( which I thought would help) Photos with arrows in red, trying to point out things to them.  

My information actually mentions to read to the end of the given info.  I am at a loss.