Guests who text instead of using Airbnb messaging

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Guests who text instead of using Airbnb messaging

Had a few of these. I always encourage my guests to use Airbnb messaging but some text me directly despite this. One guest told me that "hosts prefer this." Is there a reason I  am missing that hosts might prefer a direct text message outside the Airbnb system? It just gets confusing to see all these numbers I don't recognize pop up.

33 Replies 33
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Laura2592  

As a rule I like all communication to be in the message stream in case there is some sort of future issue, the exception is my request for an arrival time.

Guests do not always travel with their computer or, in the case of more senior guests, have the Airbnb phone app! I find an sms from their phone much quicker and more reliable when asking what time they wish to arrive.

arrival time sms.png

As soon as I send this sms to the supplied mobile number I get a response within a couple of minutes and it allows me schedule the way I work my day. Sending this message through the ABB message stream is something of a lucky dip.....sometimes I might get a response in minutes, sometimes a few hours, sometimes not at all. 

I just find this much more reliable.

Cheers.......Rob

@Sarah977  @Charles224  @Huma0  @Sandra126 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 

Yes, the Airbnb App isn't always ideal for people when travelling. I always ask for an arrival time well in advance of the day as I have to plan my work schedule around it, so this is all done via the Airbnb system. However, I also asks guests to let me know if they are running late on the day and remind them of my mobile number in case of any problems. Some will do this via Airbnb and others via text or WhatsApp or whatever, as they all have my number.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

I keep all conversations on the App. The exception is when I send the link to my YouTube video that walks guests through my check in process. 

When I send them my "day of arrival" message, I tell them I will be sending them a link to their phone to my 90 second check in video. I also say if they don't receive it or have trouble viewing it to let me know and I will send written instructions through the app. That is my only "off app" communication. So far, it has worked well for me.

@Stephanie365 Well, if I were your guest, that wouldn't work at all. I don't use the Airbnb app and I would need check-in info a few days before, that I could access on my laptop. (I like all my ducks in a row well ahead of time when I'm travelling, no last minute, day-of stuff for me) But I imagine if I explained that to you beforehand, you'd accommodate this older non-app-using non-techie 🙂 

John47
Level 9
Chatham, MA

I am a bit unusual in that I don't have a smart phone that texts so rely on Google Voice to SMS via iPad or laptop and thus as soon as I can, I add guest numbers to my Google Contacts so it shows exactly who it is either calling or texting.

From day or so before arrival and during stay, I use text (if i don't see them in person) instead of app/msg as it's much easier to access.

@John47  I don't really get what you're saying- even old school dumb phones you can send and receive texts on. Or maybe you just don't pay for that service? I've certainly never heard of a cell phone you couldn't send a text on.

@Sarah977  haven't been on this site for a bit so just now seeing your posting.
I use a prepaid cell service that charges for each text and i was getting spam ones so while it wasn't that costly, i decided to turn SMS off years ago, esp as the only people I normally use that phone with are ones that I need to actually talk to.  There are some months when I don't even make one call on it as used really only when away from home for extended time or landline not working.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I was dinged for bad communication once because guest missed all my messages. I thought they ignored me. App.

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 I’ve had a couple of times when I’ve had problems with guests and having the chat Airbnb can see us useful. Usually a “Airbnb encourages hosts and guests to communicate via the platform to help protect both parties” suffices.

As with other hosts, updates on arrival or general movements during the stay is fine, especially once you’ve met and realise they’re probably ok.

I totally agree the app notifications are glitchy. It’s awful. There is a setting that allows you to choose, App Notification, Text, or E-Mail or any combination thereof. So if I get a message, I may or may not get an app alert, and I always get a text alert to check the app. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sarah977  You probably know but you can now use that superhost $100 for online Experiences too.....but, if you do that make sure its for almost the full amount or with invited friends/family cause they don't give you credit if not all used, at least. they didn't with me.....I used $35 for a cool plant propagation class and then it disappeared, wish I'd known. If you are anyone find out this is incorrect I hope they will let me know, cause there's loads of stuff I wanna see/do on Experiences. Best to you Sarah!

@Clara116  Good to know, but I don't have the internet data capability to do an online experience. Unfortunately, not everyone lives where they have access to high speed, unlimited internet.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I try to keep all communications via Airbnb medium, but do find private messaging more reliable specially during final coordination upon guest arrival. 

@Laura2592  As a guest, I was recently asked by an Airbnb host to communicate only by SMS if I needed anything. The area we were in had very spotty mobile data, and also the property had no WiFi, so the host was worried about missing a time-sensitive message to internet troubles.

My take on it is that when there's a pressing matter, you should first communicate in the way that's most effective for reaching the other quickly. Afterward, you can follow up with the relevant details of what transpired in Airbnb messaging to make sure there's a paper trail. 

I get confused too, when guests text me straight to my personal phone number. Especially when they do not leave their names in a text. I always respond through the airbnb messenger, even when they text me on my personal phone. Usually they start afterwards they go over again to the messenger. If the guests confront me with a problem, I simple screen shot their text and send it to them over the airbnb messenger and continue responding there. I don't think it's intentional, it's just comfortable, because over years I realized some guests never downloaded the airbnb app and it's inconvenient for them to use e-mail or safari on their phone. Plus guests do not use a lot the airbnb app, but we as hosts do, so we are more used to it.

@Laura2592 

Pre-covid, all of my guests were international guests and majority were getting off 12+hr international flights (with 4 months worth of clothes and personal items) and many were 1st time users. (exchange students in their 20s) so while we preferred to keep communication on the Airbnb messenger for pre-check in exchanges, we quickly found out that it wasn't the most reliant for time-sensitive situations. So oftentimes we'd communicate thru whatsapp or kakaotalk, copy+paste all the exchanges into the Airbnb messenger, then once the guest arrived, we'd simply ask the guest to just post a short confirmation message about the exchange we copy+pasted and that they checked in okay, and the guest room and home are as expected - since there is no separate "check-in procedure" required by Airbnb. All our guests didn't seem to mind at all~ 😁