HELP! Extra Space That Should Be Filled!

HELP! Extra Space That Should Be Filled!

Hi everyone- 

My husband and I are getting our air bnb set up to list soon. We have a private entrance in our basement which is the area we will be renting out. I have attached pictures of our ideas, but we still have more space to fill and we don't know what to include. Study area? Workout space? Leave it? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated especially because this is our first space! Thanks. 

- Brittany M. IMG_9044.jpg

6 Replies 6

@Brittany401  If I were renting a two-bedroom unit, I'd expect it to include a kitchen. A small kitchenette is sufficient for brief stays, but a spacious and well-stocked kitchen is essential if you want to attract families for longer stays.

Also, these days a lot of digital nomads are using Airbnbs as their base for remote work, so setting up an appealing home-office space would give you a big boost with that market.

One key reason I suggest those two amenities over any other is that Kitchen and Dedicated Workspace are both in the short list of search filters - you can view those by doing a listing search and clicking "More filters." The more items on the search filter list you offer, the more users' search results you'll appear in, and that has a real impact on bookings. As for things that aren't on that list, anything could be a unique selling point  (e.g. sauna, pool table, rowing machine), but since they're not searchable, they're unlikely to increase your page views and bookings.

One more thing - if your basement happens to be short on sunlight, I recommend investing in some really good adjustable lighting features and decorating with light tones and splashes of bright color.  It takes a little extra effort to make a basement feel light and airy, but it really pays off in elevating the mood of the space.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brittany401  A kitchenette. A friend of mine has much the same set-up, a separate studio in her home. It is only one bedroom, and on the ground floor, but the guests have a good size living room. One corner is dedicated to a kitchenette- a microwave, a cupboard with dishware, a large drinking water container, an electric kettle, a mini-fridge, fixings for coffee and tea. There is also a small dining table and chairs.

I guess I should add that the wet bar will be set up like a kitchenette. It has a full size fridge down there and will have a convection oven and double burner available for guests. We plan on providing all of the things you would find in a kitchen. 

@Brittany401  Is there a dining table? If not, that's what could go in that space.

@Brittany401   In that case, I think a dedicated workspace would improve your earning potential the most of any feature you could put there.  That said, I don't know where on the planet your home is located, what kind of people you hope to attract, and what length of stay you're prioritizing. Those details all make a difference in terms of which amenities are best to offer.

Pool table/foosball/darts!