HOST/AIRBNB BAD INTERACTION

Answered!
Pamela1218
Level 2
Boston, MA

HOST/AIRBNB BAD INTERACTION

I recently cancelled a reservation for Washington DC last week (reservation for 6/3-6/10) and I have payed 743 dollars for that in advance. My family member passed away unexpectadly and I was her primary caretaker. Airbnb declined to provide me my refund even though I provided a death certificate...Host also refused and I am only getting back 143 dollars.....And I even gave noticed about these issue 3-4 weeks in advance. To all the hosts OUT there please do not treat your guests like that IT is highly unacceptable and disgusting also from their end and AIRBNB. BE CAREFUL peeps. 

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry for your loss @Pamela1218 

The best way to get a refund is to claim on your travel insurance.

The reason for your cancellation is not covered as a penalty free cancellation by Airbnb. They do offer travel insurance for guests so that you will be covered in these sad circumstances.

What was the cancellation policy you booked under?

Have you asked the host politely if they will refund you if they are able to rebook any of the dates.?

And please if you want experienced hosts to help you can you avoid being rude to those like @Kia272 who offered useful feedback. It's not fair to take your frustrations out on those taking the time to offer you advice.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I think there needs to be some education on what non-refundable means and what the different cancellation policies mean, both here and on other airline, car, and accommodations platforms.

There are only certain exceptions in which a platform’s policy can be officially revoked. In the case of Airbnb, the death of a family member is not one of them. Here is the list of extenuating circumstances that can lead to some type of refund. Your exact situation is listed as one of the circumstances that are not covered.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/

Shaming hosts and companies (calling them unacceptable, disgusting, etc.) for honoring and adhering to platform policies is not constructive, just as it isn’t constructive when dealing with all of the other airline, car, and hotel platforms when specific cancellation policies are set. It is no different just because a guest has more direct dealings with a host. The policies are the policies.

If a host is feeling especially altruistic, and doesn’t mind losing income that sometimes runs into thousands of dollars, they might refund you in cases like this, or if the trip is far enough in advance, they might be able to reschedule your trip for a later date. Just keep in mind that this would be a bending-over-backwards favor on the part of the host, and should not be the normal expectation of a guest.

I agree with you that if you book with Airbnb or any other platform, you need to be careful. Read the cancellation policies carefully, and if you need more flexibility, either purchase the trip insurance you are offered when you book, or find an accommodation that has more flexible policies. They do exist on Airbnb. Here is the list of current policies:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/475

I do sympathize with your disappointment that you only got a partial refund, and I understand that it feels unfair. It happened to me once a long time ago before I was a host, and I somehow assumed that cancellations would work the same way as hotels. But hotels have hundreds of accommodations, available per night - hosts typically only have 1. So hotels won’t even feel it if there is a cancellation, whereas hosts will lose, in this particular case, a full week’s worth of income. That’s why the policies are the way they are, not because hosts and Airbnb are cold and heartless.

I know something like this is hard to deal with, on top of dealing with the grief of losing your family member. Have you tried asking the host to reschedule your visit? If that’s not an option, at least talk to the host about helping you out with more of a refund if the host rebooks any of the cancelled dates. Many hosts are open to that option.

Hi Pat. Thank you for your response. First of all, I understand those are "policies" that are being followed. Another factor to consider is the fact that I actually cancelled my reservation with 3 weeks in advance to my reservation...enough time for a host to find more guests I would say...anyways airbnb was actually trying to mediate with HOST to give me a FULL refund but HOST did not accept even though I provided death certificate. 

If you had a guest whose mother or father or any other close family member died few weeks before their trip would you also absolutely refuse to refund? this is what I keep asking to myself....It is unfortunate but I guess as a guest I got screwed up because these policies can definitely affect guests like me with sudden unexpected situations...

Anyways lesson learned in my case. Thank you anyways for your response. Greatly appreciated. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Pamela1218 

The point you seem to be missing is that you were not 'screwed' over by either the host or Airbnb.  You chose a listing with a cancellation policy that incurred penalties should you cancel.

If you wanted to be covered for having to cancel either because you are ill and can't travel or as in your case sadly a relative dies you take out travel insurance.

You haven't said whether you have asked the host to refund for any days they may get a new booking for. Many hosts would in your circumstances. But I don't know what your previous communications have been like and therefore how amenable the host might be.

The refund amount sounds odd. What cancellation policy did you book under?

@Helen3  Maybe cleaning fee + tax?

Oh also Host is not even replying anymore...as expected. My budget is very limited and 600 dollars for me is a LOT of money .... Sad side of this business... 

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hi Pamela, 

Im sorry for your loss. 

it is hard for hosts to have their calendars blocked for some time and then give refunds for cancellations. 

Im a hosh and this is my business. Large Hotel chains can afford to do this, however, it is hard financially on us Mom & Pop businesses! 
just an insight from the other side. 

Oh I totally understand. I cancelled my reservation with 3 weeks in advance enough time for host to get some new guests in. Airbnb has tried to talk to host about giving me a full refund but she is not agreeing with that even though I provided documentation. I totally get what you say....But losing 600 dollars is not easy especially in this special circumstances...Sad and unbelievable but I guess will never use airbnb ever again 😞 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Pamela1218 Many hosts, if you are not rude to/about them, will offer a refund if they manage to resell the weeks booking. What Airbnb then do with their service fee is not known to me.

Yeah I was never rude to my host. Anyways...thanks Mike! I am just very sad and frustrated about this situation. I am deleting my airbnb account soon anyways. Will never use this again. Loosing 600 dollars is not easy... 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry for your loss @Pamela1218 

The best way to get a refund is to claim on your travel insurance.

The reason for your cancellation is not covered as a penalty free cancellation by Airbnb. They do offer travel insurance for guests so that you will be covered in these sad circumstances.

What was the cancellation policy you booked under?

Have you asked the host politely if they will refund you if they are able to rebook any of the dates.?

And please if you want experienced hosts to help you can you avoid being rude to those like @Kia272 who offered useful feedback. It's not fair to take your frustrations out on those taking the time to offer you advice.

Oh yeah I have politely asked in many ways. No response. Its okay... I am just defeated that I just lost 600'dollars, I have been fighting for this since last tuesday and at the same time arranging funeral for my family

member so you can imagine how painful it is, Injust dont have the energy... 

Thank you for understanding this situation helen. Somebody from airbnb just reached out to me and confirmed with me that even If I as guest broke a leg 1 week before going to an airbnb, airbnb would not refund money. How Insane is that? 

So I guess even if the guest dies in an accident or something no money will be recovered. 

These things need to change and it shows you how **bleep**ed up this system is, again this was an eye opener for me not to proceed with this website ever again. 

Thank you everybody for your support. You all are amazing...... 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Pamela1218  You should read the response you got from @Pat271 carefully. 

It is highly unacceptable and disgusting for you to generalize and call names, when you failed to understand the terms of the booking you made. SMH. 

Yeah I was very pleasant with host but she only gave me that amount back. Dear Kia do you mean that I should be aware of when a family member of mine will die? Being myself her caretaker? It's that what you mean? Any guest can have a last minute emergency and airbnb was trying to convince host to give me a full refund but host did not agree....just please tell me why would you ever refuse to give money back to your "guests" even though I provided death certificate. So I guess you would do that too to your guests? .... Or what would you do?...if your guest cancels their reservation 3 weeks in advance due to an unexpected family member loss...Would you show some compassion? I wonder...  

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Kia272 

Thank you for joining in with the other hosts who are providing their insights on the situation.

@Pamela1218  is sharing her experience, and I would like to express my gratitude for your comment regarding the booking cancellation policy. However, it would be great if we could engage in meaningful and respectful conversations while adhering to the Community Guidelines.

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad