Host request personal information

Artem90
Level 1
Charlbury, United Kingdom

Host request personal information

Hi,

I had booked a flat in Edinburgh at airbnb. After the booking was confirmed the host came back to me asking to complete a survey where personal information was collected, including copies of ID, full personal details, address etc. on an external web-site (. This is the first time ever I had been asked to complete this and I am worried this might be in violation with the GDPR policies and inherently unsafe. I could cancel the booking now but I'd just like to make sure I am doing the right thing and the host should not be considered trustworthy based on this experience alone. What is your opinion on this?

The link seems to lead a different booking web-site (https://stayaltido.com/) and I am really concerned about that.

Many thanks

Artem

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Artem90 I would advise that all communication take place on the Airbnb website. @Anonymous will have a better idea than me if the host is allowed to do this.

Same thing happened to me today. I did cancel because I'm not comfortable with the practice. It was Altido Scotland.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the hosts want to gather such information or if it's a legal requirement in that country ie most EU countries then the host should make this clear up front on their listing @Veronique504 

In Scotland there is no legal requirements but some hosts do this because of potential guest damage/parties. 

@Artem90 Without getting too deep into the weeds about terms and conditions, one thing stands out:  if a host is going to require anything as a condition of access to the property, they should clearly disclose that in the listing.

It's not unusual for hosts to collect information such as a copy of ID upon arrival - several countries mandate it - but they should be able to offer an alternative to transmitting sensitive info over a third-party website. If you're still within your cancellation grace period, perhaps ask the host first if they're amenable to an alternative you're comfortable with. If you're not satisfied with the response, you might as well cancel and book elsewhere.

It's not inconceivable that the listing is a scam, but it could also be one of the many property managers that lists through multiple platforms but forces guests to jump through extra hoops because they can't streamline their processes. As a guest, I've had nothing but bad experiences with these and prefer to book with as few middlemen between myself and the owner/host as possible. On Airbnb, that means seeking out listings with genuine locally-based hosts and plenty of legitimate reviews from verified guests. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Artem90 I ask guests to give me info about themselves prior to their stay but it is done direct thru messages or email. There are other options as well if a guest is uncomfortable with electronic communication. Ask the host and go from there. Or cancel and move on.