How often do you message guests?

Teresa1505
Level 2
Prescott, AZ

How often do you message guests?

New host here. I have noticed that everyone seems to have different styles of communication with their guests. I have been sending a thank you message upon booking, and one day before they arrive to confirm check in info. That’s it. I personally hate it when I receive a message after check in saying, “is everything ok?” That makes me assume something terrible has happened. I recently stayed at an Airbnb and the host sent NO personalized messages at all. They relied on Airbnb automated emails. Does anyone have any tips/advice on this. Thanks!

22 Replies 22
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Teresa1505 , I acknowledge the guest rental with an email.  That email also says when the guest will next hear from me  - 14 days before arrival with the welcome package.  So, 2 emails generated by me unless the guest has asked questions. The guest does not hear from me again until they have left when I thank them for leaving the cabin in good shape.  I have no idea what messages Air sends.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Teresa1505 it is quite normal to check in on guests after arrival to confirm that everything is ok as a form of protection against an undeserved bad review. Some guests say nothing until they leave a bad review mentioning everything unsatisfactory in the listing without giving the host a chance to rectify the issues.

With self check-in as a guest I also take the trouble to notify the host of my arrival.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I think it depends on how much information you need to convey to the guest. If it's a lot, I feel it's better to split that up into shorter messages, rather than a lot of info in one message, as guests tend not to read thoroughly or might miss something.

In my case, I don't use IB, so guests have to send a request. I might exchange a couple messages with them during the booking process to make sure we're on the same page, that they've read everything in my listing, and answer any questions they might pose. Then I have to send them a map to my place, as it's hard to find, as well as public transport info depending on how they are arriving. I email them that map about a week before check-in, so when I'm ready to send it I message them so they know to check their email (many people don't check their email on a regular basis) and ask them to please confirm that they received it.

Because I'm a home-share host, I don't need to send door code/check-in info or an "Is everything okay?" message.

@Teresa1505

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

1) on booking: thanks for booking, reminder to review cancellation policy and house rules and cancel if not acceptable, inform that arrival instructions will be sent one week before check-in

2) one week in advance: arrival instructions, pet fee request if applicable

3) night of check-in: confirmation that check-in went smoothly and everything meets expectations, no need to reply if so but please let us know right away if not or if we can do anything to improve your stay

4) night before check-out: thanks, hope you had a great stay, reminder to review check-out instructions on refrigerator, send us any photos you'd like to share

We instituted each of these after some event proved them advisable.

I do exactly what you do, except for the pictures to share... what do you do with them?

@Heather1086 if they're good (about 5%) and the guest permits it, I post them on our Instagram.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Teresa1505 

1.) After booking: Thanks so much for booking . . . Lookout for a message with the important info like the check-in instructions and parking directions a few days before check-in . . . 

2.) A few days before check-in: The important message with check-in info, etc. 

3.) At some point during the stay: I hope you are settling in nicely and that you are comfortable. Please do reach out if you need anything at all. 

4.) Around check out time: Thanks so much for staying . . . safe travels onward .  . .

I think message #3 is really important. Of course, I do not demand a response and don't pry any further but I think it lets them know that I am available if needed and care about the quality of their stay. 

It's like when a server at a restaurant comes back to ask you if need anything after you start eating. Everything is likely fine but it gives you an opportunity to possibly ask for more napkins, water, etc. If they serve the food and never return, many people would feel abandoned.  

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Teresa1505  I'm with you - I hate too many messages!  I would find it annoying to be asked if I was settled in etc.  I send two:  thank you upon booking, which like @Lorna170 tells the guest they'll hear from me again shortly before the trip with more information, and then 10 days to two weeks before check-in, with driving instructions, house manual, guidebook link, and check-in info.  They message me when they check out and I thank them again.  Often send a note of thanks for a nice review.  Otherwise no news is good news as far as I'm concerned.

@Ann72 I'm sensitive to that and am really careful with the wording, to make sure it's brief and very clear that no reply is needed if all is well. But it's not infrequent that guests reply with questions or comments, when they would not have initiated communication themselves. I believe this policy may have saved us a lot of money when our hot tub was broken-- the guest claimed the damage was present at check-in, but had replied to this message reporting that everything was perfect, and Airbnb satisfied our damage claim.

@Lisa723  Your hot tub story is a really good example!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I've never been a guest, but I can't imagine being bothered by a host messaging me to ask if I've settled in okay. To me it would feel like they were attentive and cared. It would also give me an opportunity to ask about something I wasn't sure about how to work, etc without feeling like I was bothering them or being some sort of complainer. It's like Emilia's analogy- I hate it when a restaurant server never drops by the table to ask if all is okay and instead have to try to get their attention.

I agree with you completely!  I have been a continuous host since June 2021.  I do send short messages during a guest's stay.  Every review I receive mentions not only the great accommodations but also that they felt I took good care of them.

Sue714
Level 5
Angaston, Australia

We send a “Thankyou for booking message with location instructions what we provide during the stay.
Another message a couple of days before booking with check in instructions. That’s it! 

I personally don’t like being hassled during a stay, and believe guests don’t either. 99% will message us as they book out. Then we reply to the message.

We booked a stay where the host wanted to check us in on arrival but was unable to, then she kept sending stupid messages to set-up a time to meet up, we were there for the bed only, as we were out working long hours - which the host was fully aware. She dropped in twice leaving things -hairdryer etc. at the front door - left message dropped by but no -one answered the door?  “No we were out working” We didn’t ask for the things she dropped off and we replied to her messages promptly. But what amazed us she expected us to put the street bin out upon arrival but was to lazy to attend to this each time she dropped by.

Sort of sounds like a host who's nervous about reviews and mistakenly thinks the more she fusses over you, the better the review will be. @Sue714