How to handle a guest who left a surprise in the bathroom

Answered!
Karina522
Level 3
New York, NY

How to handle a guest who left a surprise in the bathroom

Hi,

My current guest checked in yesterday and was very friendly when I let him in. I host a private studio space for guests. There is  a shared bathroom that Is shared between myself and  my guests. I live in a studio next door.

About an hour after  checking him in I went into the newly cleaned bathroom as I clean up for every new guest that arrives and found small drips/ remnants of diarrhoea on the toilet bowl and floor! 

I had to pee so badly at that moment I didn’t think and just grabbed gloves, paper towels, wipes and bleach and cleaned the area and floor thoroughly so that i could use the bathroom myself. I wish now I had not touched it at all and asked my guest to tend to the mess himself. I did alert him immediately with a message about how they left the bathroom very unclean and that I do not usually clean up these things for guests and would appreciate them being more cleanly and thoughtful moving forward.  I understand a possible accident but I don’t understand not turning around to check how you left things afterwards.

This person is staying with me for a total of 4 nights. I know he saw my message but he never responded, never apologised either. Any suggestions on how I should review this guest when he leaves? Especially if everything is left fine aside from this primary and very disgusting incident? 

1 Best Answer
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Karina522 

During breakfast, I read your post.

It makes me laugh "I had to pee so badly at that moment I didn’t think and just grabbed......."

" I wish now I had not touched it at all and asked my guest to tend to the mess himself. "

If I were you, I'll definitely meet him tonight,

" Hi, how was your day?"

I doubt he may regard me, I'll reply 

" Hmmm..........I've got a horrific day! did you see my message?"

Follow up, I will be honestly tutoring him that after using the toilet do turn around to check again, assume do not leaves "anything" behind and always be clean.

For the review, I'll concern and depending on his feedback on the above conversation and his behaviour in the next few days. Yet, an honest review will be appreciated. 

@Karina522 It is a time for the pedicures treatment!

Happy Hosting.

View Best Answer in original post

53 Replies 53

@Mary996 

Yes, we clearly need to define this, cause " Give them an inch, and they think they're the ruler "

Forbearance can't be tolerated, enough is enough!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Dale711  I think we need to continue this somewhere else. Its disturbing Karina's peace of mind.

All I can think of is asking the Admins to open a private space for more dialogue......? But I am going to take that walk too!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I just clicked "Follow this conversation" as I wasn't getting all notifications. I see your problem now @Dale711  . I also had to ask the author above your post not to tag me. Its been such a relief. I recommend making the same request. Its a great blessing not to be hounded. But I agree the problem needs addressing and will work with you through moderator assistance perhaps?????

Karina522
Level 3
New York, NY

@Anonymous @Dale711 @Mary996 

Andrew, I don't know why you are attacking people on here but please stop. Let us all enjoy our days especially at a time like the present. Leave Dale & Dan alone and go back to whatever you were doing previous to all of this. You seem to have motives that go beyond a friendly forum discussion and that is not ok. There is absolutely no need to bully anyone here. To be frank I was quite kind in my responses to you even though you were chastising, minimizing and condescending in your tone.

Taking time out of your day and anyone else's for that matter to be unkind and negative is unhealthy and has nothing to do with anyone here but yourself. I would suggest stepping away from the conversation and looking deeper into you. Why does it matter so much to you that you "win" this conversation? No matter what you state, at this point you have made it clear your agenda is not to create community but cause division. This negativity serves no one. Not even you. Let it be.

If it is pleasant outside where you are, go for a walk, show some love to your loved ones, neighbors or whomever. I know for myself I'll be taking some time for me today. Meditating, enjoying my neighborhood and noticing the beauty of the day.

I think we often times forget it's ok to step away. Perhaps we all should. Personally, I don't need to look into Dale and Dan's business and try to tear it down nor anyone else's and neither should you. We are here to lift one another up and how support. If you are doing well with your business Andrew, then that is great. But putting out negativity will only lead that energy right back to your door. 

Looking back, my original post had nothing to do with any of this. It was literally about poop haha. It was also resolved quickly by Dale and Dan with a few laughs to go along with it, which was great! Somehow now the conversation has shifted to calling out people about their listing label practices to accusing others of being liars or poor hosts? Does this not sound a bit like high school bullying to you? We are adults,  please learn the power of doing you and letting other's do as they please. Learn to step away, self reflect and let go. 

I wish you all a positive day. Had I known the community can get so testy perhaps I would have kept my question to myself. But then again, I would not have been introduced to Dale, Dan, Sarah and Marry which has been a pleasant find indeed. I have appreciated the flexibility within all of these conversations 🙂 Having perspective is everything.

Wishing you all well, even you Andrew. Wishing for you that you find some cool and soothing waters to bring peace and calm to the misdirected fire you appear to have inside of you. There is nothing wrong with being full of fire, but when it is misdirected it only serves  in pain and destruction. Let your embers cool, let you learn the power of warmth.

Side note!  I believe it's a new moon today! A perfect opportunity to cleanse old toxins and negative energies. Maybe take an energy cleanse bath today if you can!

❤️ - Karina

@Karina522  Thanks for the well wishes, and I hope your poor guest has recovered from his gastric ailment.

@Anonymous 

Wow..... now you even abuse the guest? Unbelievable 

@Dale711  How is that "abuse"? 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Dale711 

I believe @Anonymous is being sincere in wishing the guest well and to feel better soon.

There's a lot of positivity and support in this thread but unfortunately there's also a lot of personal attacks. Could I ask every be respectful to each other and not make personal comments or insinuations moving forward? Sometimes when we see something that upsets us it is a trigger response to reply but here on the CC you can alway hit the "Report Inappropriate Content' to alert the Community managers to the content. 

We're never going to get on with everyone and certain personality traits can be irksome to others. I would like to invite you to ignore users that grate on you but report content you think is inappropriate. I do hope in the future you would like to find some common ground and rub along together. 

Both newer and veteran CC members are held to the same guidelines which you can review here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Center-Updates/Community-Center-Guidelines-Updated/m-p/910805

Please do let me know if you have any questions - happy to discuss via DM.

Thanks,

Stephanie

@Sarah977 @Mary996 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie 

I much appreciate you follow one's conscience.

Hopefully, @Anonymous show appreciation to support each other, help each other members and sharing useful content with moral worth.