How to inform upcoming guests of renovations that will affect shared spaces?

Sarah5206
Level 2
Surat Thani, Thailand

How to inform upcoming guests of renovations that will affect shared spaces?

I have a small resort with 5 bungalows on it, and a large shared pool. Due to unseasonably bad weather, we have had to postpone our pool renovation (retiling) to a week when we already have bookings in several of our units. This is a tropical island, and many guests count on being able to cool off in the pool. It's not an option to move the renovations to a later period, as we will run into the monsoon season. Obviously I'd like to inform the guests in advance, so they aren't upset during their stay. My question is this: How would you inform your guests of unavoidable maintenance/renovations that may affect their comfort? My thought was the following, but appreciate any feedback on hosts who have already had to do this:

Inform them of the unavoidable renovations beginning x date, and expected to last no more than x days, reassure them the pool is still in good working condition until the start date. Option 1: Offer them to cancel their entire booking OR change the dates to check out before the renovations begin, with a full refund of the cancelled days. Option 2: Keep their original booking, but with a x% discount for the days the pool is out of use. 

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to handle this professionally.

Sarah

0 Replies 0