I give up Airbnb after 3 years

Answered!
Will2697
Level 2
Navarre, FL

I give up Airbnb after 3 years

Hi,

I have been on a long journey as a host, i bought a property with 6 rentals on it and i remodeled them with very high end funiture design and i listed it exclusively on airbnb. I have hosted over 400 people in the last 3 and a half years, i can say that 10 to 20 of those people were a problem, but never had anything major happen, no violence, place getting trashed, party, dogs or anything like that. 

My major problem with airbnb is the review system and how the support team don't have a way to protect hosts from guests who try to use the review system to blackmail us into giving them more than what was already offered, or give them free nights or discounts. The punishment for a review is too harsh, where i can have 295 reviews with 5 stars, i got a few 4 stars and 2 of them were still unfair for no reason.

Recently i got 3 stars overrall with 2 stars on everything else, the guest simply lied about their experience; where they did have a issue with air condiner (that they caused by leaving doors open) and i still fixed everything within 40 minutes by moving them to another unit, but the guests decided to not move when i told them to, by their own choice they stayed on the heat until the end of the next day saying they were going to wait for a technician, thats ln a sunday and i told them there was no guarantee of someone showing up last minute. They then moved to the new unit just to sleep and then check out the next day. 

That's when the blackmail started, they wanted to stay another 2 days, when sent the alteration request i even added a $200 discount but they refused it saying it was too expensive and started making up lies about the place being filthy and checked out. 

I tell guests they have the option to throw away any trash, also tell them to lock doors for safety and turn up the AC. I make clear those basic things are optional. The guest wrote that i kept giving them a list of chores to do, that never happened. 

On the end of their 14 days to leave their review, they write down a enhanced version of what happened, painting me as the one to blame for their issues while claiming i did not offer them any solutions or apology. 

That review alone is going to remove my superhost status, and already have made me fall off the first page when people research my units. This is not the first time i have this happen, some guests lie, some others just leave a low rate for no reason. The support was quick into deciding that the guest is right and i should just wirte my version of the story under her review as if it would make any difference. The review was biased because the guest did notnget the discount she wanted, the issues she had were fixed in 40 minutes and she extended her suffering through her own choice, all that can be confirmed through the messages exchanged between us. 

I am not going to be punished for this system anymore, i have made airbnb thousands of dollars with my 6 listings. I already unlisted one, i will finish hosting the people who already booked and i will just delete my account.  I wish good luck to anyone who stays. 

----------
https://www.airbnb.com/h/swdshores
https://www.airbnb.com/h/swdshores5
1 Best Answer

We are long term letting our units instead of holiday letting from this winter, for the exact reasons you’ve said.

Even a 4 star review can ruin your business and leaves us scared to call out bad guest behaviour (in an extremely polite and professional way) incase it results in an aggravated review!

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2

We are long term letting our units instead of holiday letting from this winter, for the exact reasons you’ve said.

Even a 4 star review can ruin your business and leaves us scared to call out bad guest behaviour (in an extremely polite and professional way) incase it results in an aggravated review!

I have heard from multiple fellow hosts that long term rental during the winter season is the best way to go. Maybe June July are the only months that worth it tonhave on airbnb. I have received no help or support from the situation, the cost of having guests over is higher than the profit. And i am not even looking for a huge profit, i just want to be able to use airbnb pay to live where i live, i actually like this job as a host. If it was my ability that was stopping me from being a good host i would accept it and improve it, but it's just a review full of lies that drags my listing down to the last page. I already have no views or bookings. This is ridiculous. Luckly i am about to sign a 3 month lease with a tenant already for the house that got 3 star. Can't wait do do it for all my houses and leave this plataform. Nobody from airbnb cares even though i made them thousands. 

----------
https://www.airbnb.com/h/swdshores
https://www.airbnb.com/h/swdshores5