I suspect guests trying to extract a refund by lying about cleaning

Heather40
Level 1
Seattle, WA

I suspect guests trying to extract a refund by lying about cleaning

My current guests said they found dirty dishes in the kitchen and hair in the shower and sink but I know for a fact my professional cleaners that I hire did a great job as they do each time.  My fear is that at the end of their stay, they will ask for a refund. I've been combing through this forum and I see that happens from time to time.

What does Air BnB do to protect hosts from people looking for a free stay by lying about conditions? I'm thinking now I will have to take photos after every cleaning so ensure protection but would love to open a case with Air BnB in case this escalates.

Thank you!

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

FIrst of all your guest may not be lying and this time perhaps your cleaners slipped up. Did you check the property before your guests moved in?

It happens in the best hotels in the world where a cleaner slips us - believe me, having arrived to an cleaned bathroom but othewise spotless room.

What did you do when they reported this? Did you send the cleaner around again to check those items and fix them? If so then it's unlikely they can claim a refund as I assume they stayed/are staying the entire time.

They havent tried to claim a refund they merely told you what they found, so what case are you going to open?

I would keep in touch with them during their stay, via the AirBnB platform asking them if there is any additional info or items they need.

Taking photos after each cleaning is certainly one option - but again, bear in mind that on this occasion the may just be right. 

Alejandro66
Level 1
Hoboken, NJ

Similar situation happen to me .
I told the guest to find a another place after the 3rd day

He tread me, saying that he is going to write a bad review.

At the end they leave. Airbnb refund the money and payme only for the 3 days

Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

From over the p years of renting out my beach house as a vacation rental I have found that everyone has a different expectations of cleanliness and some are what I consider unreasonable.

The way I had these guests IF they notify me when they check in or shortly after and still are not a "happy" I offer to let them cancel and move out for a refund. If they report after the first day then I don't butbmay waive cleaning fee if I think there may be some distance.

I had this happen to me recently for the first time with Airbnb recently and was impressed. I contacted Airbnb after guest notified me of the issues. They found alternate accomidations for them and fully refunded them for the night they did stay at my place without the guest having to pay fees, while Airbnb still paid me for the night they stayed.
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

HI Heather

When you say you know for a fact that your cleaners did a great job - are we to presume that you were in the property to welcome your guests and so say that everything was as it should be and none of the things the guests mentioned were true?

What action did you take when the guests complained about these issues?

Did you or your cleaner return to the premises to check?

@Heather40  I had this happen once at a listing I was looking after for a friend. It's difficult to prove either side of a story like this. I knew their complaints to be false as I had checked after the cleaning person left and was there to greet the guests - no trash, no hairs, no dirty towels in laundry basket. But that is not considered proof, just my word.

The best way to protect yourself is document everything on the message board, preferably in a manner that demands a response from the guest and address the complaint immediately.  I went over straight away and offered to 1) ask the cleaning person to return or 2) find the guests somewhere else.  I documented that and their response , "no, we have already cleaned (in the few minutes that had passed!), it's fine we will stay".  Point is, I had everything documented and messages to prove that they had accepted the space as is from day one and had refused any offers to address their complaints or be rehoused.  With Airbnb seeming to be more inclined to just refund guests with no questions asked and after the end of their stay,  it's worth doing this. I always ask guests on their second day, if everything is fine, if they are comfortable and if they need anything, in person and in a message.  I have great guests for the most part, but there is always at least one that tries it on!  I do not want to be paying for anyone else's vacation!

Heather40
Level 1
Seattle, WA

I gave my guest the benefit of a doubt that the cleaning claims she had we're true and offered to send the cleaner back to remedy the situation.  I asked her to send pictures of the "filthy" conditions she experienced and give me specifics so I could work with the cleaner to get the problems solved and refesh quality control guidelines. She had actually met my cleaner upon arrival and they had had a nice chat. Her response was almost a 180. She said it's not the cleaners fault,  to not "blame" him. She said that my apartment needed a deep clean, apparentely not a surface clean. This is odd because her original complaints were about surface clean items and I pay my cleaner to deep clean anyway.  She hasn't responded about when the best time to send my cleaner back would, haven't heard from her since.

I think what happens to hosts who live in classic buildings is that our places are decades old and at some point no coat of paint or replaced fixtures can hide the fact that it's a 100 year old building. The majoirty of my guests seek the charm of exposed brick walls and pre-war touches but I'm guessing the general dissatifscation from a very small amount of my guests stems from this. Any other antique home hosts have this problem?