Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Improving Check-in method

Improving Check-in method

Hi Hosts and Hostesses,

My name is Angie and I'm a 27 year-old British Latina who is almost a year into hosting on air bnb in Torrevieja. 

So far so good but still trying really hard to earn myself a 'guest favourite' or 'super host'. I've noticed that my check-in usually gets a lower rating compared to other categories. It has a rating on 4.2 whilst the rest of the categories are higher than 4.5

I was wondering what the preferred check-in method in Torrevieja is and I'm mostly interested in hearing about experiences with in-person check-ins. 

Do you have to limit the check-in time? If so, do you find yourself losing out on bookings because of this?  

Are guests usually on time or do you find yourself wasting time waiting around for their arrival?

I would appreciate any advice on this!

Many thanks,

Angie 

6 Replies 6
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Angie887. Welcome to the hosting community! 👋

Regarding your check-in process, can you share more about your current setup? Are you using keyless entry, in-person check-in, a lockbox, or something else? How are you managing the check-ins right now?

Also, do you have specific check-in and check-out windows? How do guests generally respond to those?

Sharing a few more details can help fellow hosts share more tailored advice.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi @Quincy , thank you for your message.

I currently have a self check-in method set up which consists of a pad lock by the gated entrance of the building that's available at all times - guests are usually pretty happy with this as it gives them flexibility with their arrival time.

However, its been broken once and removed another time. I'm not sure for the reason why or if someone just stole it.

I have noticed many air bnb's in my building but I'm not sure how they handle their check-in's as I haven't seen any other pad locks or wall mounted locks for self check-in. 

So I was wondering if there is a better or easier way for me to do my own check-in that I'm not aware of 

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Angie887 

Many hosts use smartlocks on the door of the apartment, but that still leaves you (and me!) with the problem of how to get guests inside the communal building gate.

You could perhaps consider a smart lockbox. That way you'll at least be notified if it's tampered with. Your present lock doesn't seem very secure if it could be broken and removed, so perhaps good to upgrade.

Hey @Shelley159 

A smart lock on the apartment door does seem like a really good idea - I will look into this, thank you 🙂

I am thinking of switching to a wall mounted pad lock - however, I'm not too sure I have permission to drill this into the building entrance. I have emailed about it and I'm waiting to hear back but I would like to think ahead of what my plan B could be.

In an ideal world if I could find a way to still keep a self check-in method that would be perfect because I feel like switching to an in-person check-in method would limit my bookings due to the lack of flexibility with arrival times

I'm in a bit of a tricky dilemma 

Hi, I can only suggest that you actually ask your guests, the ones who have already reviewed you. I can't remember if you can see how they individually rated you, but you could just write a very kind message for some honest feedback on when they stayed with you, was there anything that they could recall that could be improved on the checkin process. Promise you aren't spamming them, just trying to get some honest feedback. Send to 10-15 guests, and you might get a few replies that are insightful?

I received wise advice from someone sometime ago, when you are stuck/in a dilemna with any business you are in, just go and talk to your customers. That will get your head straight! Seems to work for me!

All the best, Kind regs MK

Michelle3861
Level 2
Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Could you provide 24/7 self check in with a key safe? that is bolted to the stone/brick?

If a padlock is broken or missing and you are not there within seconds to fix it, you will get marked down. 

Suggest something like this: https://www.amazon.com.au/Kidde-AccessPoint-001170-Combination-Permanent/dp/B000PQW6GA?source=ps-sl-...

It is so cheap and old school, so no-one wants to steal it. 

See pics below for how it attaches.  Guests enter a code and press button. Opens to reveal key. Same in reverse on check out. Hope this helps

Michelle3861_0-1729131139708.jpeg

Michelle3861_1-1729131167233.jpeg