Issue with a settlement

Souro5
Level 1
Millis, MA

Issue with a settlement

I had to cancel my booking due to a family member got admitted to a hospital less than 24 hrs before the travel commencement date. On discussing with the owner and airbnb support person, the conclusion was the rebook at the fall time. Now when I book for falls, owner cancelled the booking stating he can not provide any rebate . He is not agreeing even after multiple requests to align with his earlier statement. What are my options at this point to get the  money back ? Anyone has any such prior exp and how  the issue was resolved / settled ? Any lead would be helpful.

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

as a host I wouldn't accept a last minute request 24 hours before a stay to cancel and refund a guest or let them book for a much later date, as I would then be out of pocket because of a change in your arrangements .  @Souro5 

This is why guests should have travel insurance 

i don't understand what happened with the original booking . Did you cancel? Did you put in a request to change the dates at the time? 

i don't understand your comment 'now when I book for the fall the owner cancelled the booking stating he can't provide a rebate' what booking is he cancelling? 

the best way to get your money back is to claim on your travel insurance 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Souro5 Technically I suppose the host made a contract with you so you could enforce this in court. The problem is that verbal contracts are not worth the paper they are written on! However if he has put it in writing, and there is no misunderstanding on what was offered, you could try a lawsuit if you can find their address.

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Souro5 

Your credit card company may cover such an instance if you had to cancel your accommodation due to a family emergency or your travel insurance if you have one?

How long ago did you cancel this reservation?  Were you entitled to any refund or was it a non refundable booking? How many days?  If you only have a verbal agreement with this host, it's going to be difficult I fear to enforce this agreement I fear but contact customer service to see if they have any record.