Lesson learned: Don't accept guests with no reviews

Lesson learned: Don't accept guests with no reviews

I've learned a lesson recently & am interested in whether my experience is shared by other hosts.

It seems that someone with no reviews (but who isn't a new Airbnb signup) is almost guaranteed to be a bad guest.

Since its so risky for hosts to leave a review for bad guests (who will correctly assume you haven't said something positive & will probably leave a 'retaliatory' review), it now seems that giving someone no review is the equivalent to giving them a bad review. 

I accepted someone in the past who had no reviews & they ended up being terrible guests. But I thought I'd take the risk again recently on someone else who'd been on Airbnb 4 years with no reviews. I am still getting over what they did to my home.

My luxury property was left an appalling, disgusting mess. Every single thing not nailed down was moved into different rooms (including all the furniture & contents of all cupboards/closets/cabinets). Leftover food, crumbs, wrappers etc throughout the house on the floors. Wet patches on rugs where they'd spilled drinks & not even attempted a clean up. Every single item from the kitchen was dirty & left throughout the house. Snotty tissues all over the floor in every room. They slept on top of the beds (not between the sheets), and left stained linen & towels. And this was all accomplished in a 2-night stay by a 'normal' family (parents in their 30s with kids, not some raging party of teenagers). 

In the future, I will absolutely reject any booking from people with no reviews (unless they're a brand-new Airbnb user, in which case I'll ask a LOT of questions before deciding if they're worth the risk.) Better to forego the income that have this happen again.

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cathie4 we have had lots of guests who have no reviews but a long time on Airbnb. All have been fine. Either you were unlucky or guests are different where you are based.

wow, you've been very fortunate! I'm in Australia. Airbnb isn't the only way guests can book my property, but a higher percentage of Airbnb guests have been bad compared to guests who booked elsewhere. Not sure why....

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I've been doing Airbnb for nine years and about half my guests are new to Airbnb and have been five star guests . @Cathie4  (I've had over 300 guests)

it must be so frustrating getting such difficult guests.

I was confused my your comments about reviews as these are left blind .

do leave an honest review for these problem guests to help warn your fellow hosts 

Yes reviews are left blind but if you have terrible guests and leave them a review, they get notified by Airbnb the host has left a review.  At that point, they're going to assume the host's review of them is negative, and likely 'retaliate' with their own negative review (even though they haven't yet seen what the host actually wrote). 

Thats why its a risk leaving a review for bad guests & lots of hosts don't do it. Better not to prompt bad guests to leave a review at all, they can't be trusted to be honest.

And we all know how impossible it is to get Airbnb to take down bad reviews.

If you are going to furnish your luxe space with carpeting, contract grade is your best choice.

You may want to consider raising the rates to purchase a pro carpet and couch/fabric cleaner…and the extraordinary amount of sheets and towels you’ll need to replace throughout the year…

Ratings/reviews or lack of…is not a true measure of  what to expect as every host rates on their own scale.