Long term stay reservation change?

Gaius5
Level 1
Fort Worth, TX

Long term stay reservation change?

Looking for more seasoned host advice about my current long term stay of 56 days that now 20 days in wants to change their reservations to check out early.  We've tried our best to accommodate their stated "issues" at every turn for 20 days but they still want out.  We've set a "Long-term Strict" cancellation policy.  Our guest would like us to "graciously" change/shorten the reservations and know that if they cancel they'll forfeit monies already paid.  How would you proceed?  Do we just fall back on the 30 day strict cancellation policy and be done with it or is there other advice out there.  Thanks for your time!

4 Replies 4
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Gaius5 The question is "why do they want to cancel?' Is it due to them being unhappy with the accommodation or because their plans changed?

You mention "issues" so for the sake of this post I will assume they had problems with the accommodation in some way shape or form. It really depends how big these issues were and what you did to address them. For example, if they said they house was not clean and you sent a cleaner over, this would be appropriate action and response. If they said there were bugs and you sent an exterminator over, again appropriate action and response. If they are saying the beds are uncomfortable, then that's more subjective and something you really can't change. 

Obviously if you allow the change, you will be refunding them. Without more information it's difficult to give you a straightforward answer. There are a few things you can do

-If you feel the issues, they brought forth were addressed properly, then I would offer them a refund based on the ability to rebook their dates. 

-If you feel the complaints were valid and ongoing, and/or something you couldn't fully address, then I would consider at least a partial refund

-You can refuse the change and not offer a refund if you feel they are requesting with ill or untrue intent 

@Jennifer1897 Thanks for your advice your time is appreciated!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Gaius5 

Very difficult to advise as @Jennifer1897  says without you telling us what the issues are and why the guest wants to shorten their bookings.

If the 'issues' have been resolved /were minor I would email  and the guest is leaving due to a change in their arrangements I would reply as follows

'Dear XXX

I am sorry you have decided that you want to change your arrangements for a long stay with us because your granny died/your contract finished early/ your house caught fire.

Guests booking long stays enjoy a XX discount  and we hold the space for you in good faith for a long period. I am sure you appreciate it would be unfair to ask us to be out of pocket because of a change in your arrangements,

As a gesture of goodwill on our part, if we get a replacement booking for all or part of the time you will no longer be staying, then we are happy to refund you the host fee element of your booking for the days rebooked .

@Helen3 I appreciate your advice and time, thank you!