Misleading Review

Naveen58
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Misleading Review

Hello everyone,

We've been Superhosts for over a year, have a guest favorite badge, and are among the top 5% of properties in our city. Recently, we received our first 3-star review. Our property is a legally listed secondary suite with accurate photos and descriptions. A recent guest gave us 1 star in accuracy, claiming it's not an apartment but a basement, despite our clear listing as a secondary suite.

We also send a follow-up message upon reservation confirmation, reminding guests to verify the listing and amenities. Many of our reviews highlight the positive experience of staying in a basement suite.

After checkout, the guest left a 1-star review in accuracy, stating, "it's not an apartment but a basement." We contacted Airbnb support, but they failed to understand what a secondary suite is, suggesting it should have luxury amenities. Despite promises of a callback from a supervisor, we haven't heard back.

This review is impacting our overall ratings and doesn't reflect our property's accurate representation. We're seeking advice on how to get Airbnb to review our request and evaluate it against their review policy.

Thank you for your support.

4 Replies 4
Naveen58
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

@Bhumika @Paula @Rebecca

any suggestions or guidance? Here is link to our listing

http://airbnb.com/slink/mH4UvB92

Good luck. Based on how many great reviews you have, AirBnB is likely to say what they've said to me "You have so many great reviews" and leave it at that.

@Naveen58 

I would suggest maybe you are just dealing with a Guest angry at herself that she didn't understand that en suite as opposed to apartment provides a different level of privacy access.

Reading your reviews looks like most guests understand.  So your description must be fine.  I would look at was she not your typical market?  Most of your Guests talk positively about stays before early or late flights, she was traveling with her children was she booking for the wrong reason?  Was she a female alone with children in someone's home she didn't know and no lock on bedroom doors?  My site is cheaper then Phoenix, that is an hour away, and just chatting before I accept a reservation,  there is hints so I mention my city again.  Just saved me last week nice man but he was expecting to work in Phoenix.

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Naveen58 

You could perhaps consider changing the wording somewhat. It reads "Our AirBnB features a private legal secondary basement suite". I would interpret this basement as a feature of the Airbnb, in other words it is an Airbnb that also features a basement (the same way one would say it features a TV, etc.). It would be clearer if you simply said "Our Airbnb is a legal secondary basement suite".

I would also consider putting basement in the title, simply because the photos (which are very inviting) can give the impression of an entire private unit.

You are not misrepresenting what the rental is, but I can understand that some guests could miss the details. You have really good reviews, so people may be eager to book and fail to put all the facts together.