Non-communicative guest checking in today

Nicole2223
Level 7
Gouldsboro, ME

Non-communicative guest checking in today

Hello hosts,

First time situation for me. A guest instant booked on Wednesday for a Friday arrival, and has not responded to any of the three messages I've sent since then. By now, I would have typically sent even more messages, but I'm holding off because I don't want to bury my initial message that contained a few key questions.

I noticed the person is relatively local so I figured it might be a bit of a last minute decision and since they can get here quickly (unlike 99% of our guests that travel 5-10 hours). Other than spending a few hours preparing the house for their arrival...I guess I have nothing to lose if they don't show, but I don't like having this tentative feeling that somebody could show up at any time. I know there could be 100 reasons why someone doesn't receive or doesn't respond to a message - and many would be quite reasonable. Perhaps they plan to cancel - but with my Firm policy I believe we would still be paid. 

My question for other hosts is whether you would continue to send all the usual messages, including check-in instructions without any communication from the guest?  I don't want this to turn into a complaint (a la 'host didn't provide the door code) or a bad review if I can avoid it!

Thanks

17 Replies 17
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Nicole2223 Guests just seem to be very inattentive to messages on platform from

hosts. In this situation, being a short time line, I would text the guest and ask them to check their inbox. If no response I would then call. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nicole2223 

In this situation, I would also text the guest and then call as the guest may simply not have their notifications turned on and for some reason, many book and then don't think they need to check their messages again. If that doesn't work, I'd get on the phone to Airbnb and tell them the guest is not responding. I have had to do this before in the past and it usually worked. For some reason, many guests seem fine ignoring the host's messages/calls etc. but think it's important to do so when it comes from Airbnb.

I've only had one experience where the guest who was due to check in didn't respond to either me or Airbnb. Sure, I wasted time cleaning and also waiting for them (for my six hour check in window) but I still got paid even though the guest didn't show up. It's pretty weird, but I guess if they are not losing a lot of money and they realise they are not getting refunded anyway, some guests just can't be bothered to tell you they are no longer coming. I think in this case, most likely the guest will show up. They will have the address etc. from the booking info.

I get responses from about half of my guests.  I'd just continue to send all your planned communication and just be a bit more mindful around checkin time in case they used a phone number that doesn't actually reach them.  A lot of times a wife made the reservation and used the husband's phone number.

Nicole2223
Level 7
Gouldsboro, ME

Thanks everyone - great points from all of you.  The guest finally responded (with about 5 words) and did check in. At least the cleaning and prep weren't for naught.  I was reflecting on past guests and determined that only about 1 in 10 are non-communicative...but usually only until they start preparing for their trip and I guess they go looking for info. I don't think I've ever had a case of someone being silent right up until check in time.  

@Nicole2223 What a pita. It seems

some people just view an Airbnb as if it’s an anonymous hotel booking.  It would be helpful if Airbnb could prompt guests to be attentive and watch for messages from their host, and to turn on notifications. Hopefully this guest gets the ‘message’ about the importance of communication when you mention it in review. Did they have prior reviews?  

They did - and all were great.  Which is mostly why  I felt comfortable overlooking the gap in communication…figuring multiple positive reviews couldn’t be wrong…

@Nicole2223 You’d think, except many hosts are afraid to leave honest reviews.….

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Nicole2223  I find this to be incredibly annoying and is definitely on the up tick.  If I don't get any responses 48 hours before check in, I send a text message, this way I determined if I have to cancel I can cancel them with still 24 hours before check in and they won't be able to leave a review.

In the event that my text is not returned within maybe 8 hours, I escalate to Airbnb and have them reach out to the guest.  This has happened about 3 or 4 times since late last year, and I've come within literally minutes of cancellilng at least 2 of these guests before they finally responded.  

Most of these guests have been okay in terms of how they treated the space, but also didn't bother leaving reviews.

One hilarious example of entitlement was the guest who never replied, she was checking in over Xmas weekend, the phone on her account was wrong, etc. etc.  Finally she is reached by Airbnb.  But, don't you know she messaged ME within 5 minutes of entering the house because she could not find the wifi password that is listed on page 1 of the house manual, in bold 'WIFI' that lists the network and password.  She was an okay guest otherwise, a little messy, left no review.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 wrote:

@Nicole2223  I find this to be incredibly annoying and is definitely on the up tick.  I

I am sensing this too. Used to happen very occasionally. Now it seems to be more and more common. There has been a shift in guest's perceptions of what an Airbnb is (or maybe there has been a shift in how Airbnb are marketing the product to the guests - or both).

I find it incredibly annoying too, as it's not what I signed up for. I guess we all have to adapt to the times, but how much? 

I have increasingly less patience for this kind of thing.

@Huma0 I tend to think its something Airbnb has done with the guest screens, but also, Airbnb markets itself as if you have all the quality/uniqueness and personal attention you'd get at a spa with the efficiencies and convenience of a hotel.  But, this isn't really what Airbnb is in most cases, outside of the entire place PlusLuxe or whatever it is now type of listings.

One of the ways I discourage people who seem iffy is to remind them that they have 48 hours to cancel and get all their money back.  They always shocked.  They think they're getting all their money back unless they cancel less than 5 days before the trip, just as Airbnb wants them to think.  Not one person, even long time Airbnb users, is clued in that Airbnb will keep that 12-15%.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

That's a good point. I do also sometimes use the tactic of reminding them of the 48 hour penalty free cancellation period. I use this mostly to encourage guests to read the listing and house rules and get back to me asap, mentioning that it's within their own interests as they only have 48 hours to cancel before Airbnb fees apply.

You are correct in that most guests do not seem to have grasped this. They don't realise Airbnb fees are usually non-refundable because it's not something Airbnb likes to highlight. Airbnb prefers to highlight that guests can get their accommodation fees refunded up until a certain number of days before their stay but fails to stress the fees are another thing altogether.

Michelle1164
Level 10
Clearwater, KS

If I don’t receive response to messages in Airbnb platform I send text to the phone listed in the reservation.  I inform them that unless they respond to the message I left them on the Airbnb platform, access to our home will be denied.  If they have changed their mind be sure to cancel their reservation by a specific date to get the best refund possible. So far has worked every time. 

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz

Thanks for sharing this.  If I were the guest and received a text like that, I would completely understand and immediately rectify.  As a host though...I want to say that I feel like this approach is acceptable and intellectually I know it is. But there's another voice in me that says this leans too much toward confrontational, which could tarnish the relationship...something I don't want to do before giving them access to the house! I know it's appropriate - and we are in charge of who gets the keys - AND I think the fear of the guest judging me for being harsh could be reflected in the review.  Though...I imagine most people would forget that interaction once they have a lovely vacation.

So when you say it has worked every time - I assume you mean that they respond and it all works out.  But do people ever have not-nice words about it?

@Nicole2223  I say it another way...'We need to hear from you to ensure you will be able to gain access to the property when you arrive'  or 'Its important that you contact us  ASAP, so there will be no problems or issues for you getting into the apartment when you arrive' 

Something that more positions it as to the guest benefit to make contact.