Our Host Never Cancelled or Notified Us About Our Booking Until We Asked About Check-in Details

Gabby106
Level 1
Waco, TX

Our Host Never Cancelled or Notified Us About Our Booking Until We Asked About Check-in Details

A month and a half ago, I had booked a townhome for October 18-19 for 6 guests. 

Come that Friday around 4:30 PM, I get to the AirBnB, and cannot find the details for entry anywhere. So I message the host, and he replies by saying that the townhome is not available, and that he had told AirBnb that the place was undergoing maintenance for damage. His messages made it out to seem as if this should have been old news to us and that it would've been common sense to assume it was cancelled. Yet there were zero messages or emails until I reached out first, past the 4 PM check in. I called the host (is this inappropriate?) to get further clarification and see if he had other accommodations, but he sent me to voicemail and texted "Is the AirBnB messenger not working or something?".

When I called AirBnB, they say that not only was the reservation still confirmed, but that there was prior instances of this host not following guidelines. They did acknowledge that the host reported that the townhome was damaged and needed maintenance, but that was all. It was my understanding that the host has the ability to cancel a booking? I cannot understand why he didn't himself or request AirBnB to cancel it.

They issued the refund and gave us a 20% off discount for the next stay. I can't help but feel as if this was not enough? We were left in the dark until we reached out. The host's behavior/responses and the whole experience made it seem as if there wouldn't have been a refund issued.

Without a refund and the circumstances, accommodations were double the cost. Maybe I'm just being bitter, but I feel that we were wronged because this was by no means an emergency situation for the host, but turned into an emergency for us to find accommodations. 

I get unexpected things happen when traveling,  but this does not seem to be the case. The host has been with AirBnB for several years,  and given the nature of this, had no concerns with following policy or ensuring we were notified of the cancellation. I feel like the resulting cost burden lies on the host. 

If anyone could provide some insight on the situation, or advice on reaching back out to AirBnB (or not) would be greatly appreciated! 

2 Replies 2
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Gabby106 

Sorry to hear about this! Have you searched for that listing recently, after your ordeal? Such hosts usually have their listings suspended if there were multiple issues.

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Gabby106 

As a host myself, I am really disappointed that a host would not have cancelled your reservation in good time for you to find alternate accommodation and reach out to you beforehand.  It's just common curtesy and certainly something that will not go unpunished by Airbnb.

Airbnb have gotten very strict with hosts cancelling reservations, be it last minute or even months ahead, makes no difference (or not at all in your case) because it does reflect badly on the platform and hosts as a whole. 

I thought you might be interested to read what their stance is when hosts cancel and you'll see that there is a financial penalty that goes up the nearer the date of the scheduled stay approaches and the hosts calendar will be systematically blocked off for the duration of that stay.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990

But yes, very poor show on behalf of this host and you should receive a link to review this host as they never cancelled.  Warn other guests but make sure you keep your comment within the TOS so that it doesn't get removed.

I would be furious too if this happened to me 

Joëlle