Price reduction requests

Price reduction requests

Recently I have been receiving tons of price reduction requests and I am very competitive. I check surrounding listings to make sure. 

Also, when I do give in they tend to be needy and not always the best guest... Do you agree? 

42 Replies 42

I do offer a weekly and monthly discount but they still ask and I point it out that the discount was on applied. However, they want a bigger discount, I think that’s why they still ask 😅

I often get traveling medical professionals asking for discounts. My son is an RN and says do not give them discounts they are making anywhere from $75-100 an hour.  Js

I very careful before not making a deal and I appreciate every inquiry and booking, that’s why I asked because I’m so careful and I struggle with deciding and take time and really look at everything before turning away a guest. But I feel like I’ve gotten burned every time I’ve given deep discounts. These are the guest so far have cause the most damage and have been the most unthoughtful. 
I know it’s not everyone however, but I’m starting to see trend. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

guests who ask for discounts for short stays, for early or late check-ins/outs, those who send booking requests to no-pet/kids listings while having pets or kids are not good guests. Just say NO.

If someone is looking for a monthly stay then I can understand if he tries to negotiate and if he contacts more than one host or landlord on different platforms.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I’ve experienced that too. 

I set my pricing weekly/ monthly and it is what it is.  I’m not a charity. The lower the price the higher the neglect. 

I won’t use smart pricing on some of mine. It always dives to the lowest price. 

Paul7222
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

@Hala67 @Colleen253 

@Hala67  @Colleen253  Thanks for raising this topic.  I, too, recently had a request for a discount.  My rates are already very competitive and I provide a quality product to guests.  However, as this was a potential 3 month booking, I was willing to provide an additional small discount as a measure of good faith.    Would you believe that the guest then requested that he book the first month via Airbnb and pay directly for the remainder of the stay?  WOW.   He received a polite but firm NO.  Ultimately, he did not book!  Lesson learnt.  : )

@Paul7222 Taxes and the Airbnb service fees can add an extensive amount to a booking, especially if long-term. Many times a host's rate is within a guest's budget but the taxes and fees throw it way off. Of course, now the guest's financial problems become a burden for the host. Guests would never get away with asking Airbnb for a discount on the service fees!

@Emilia42 How true!  Yes, the additional fees and taxes can definitely inflate a guest's budget.  However, so far, we have been fortunate with guests booked who realize the value that they are receiving.

Yes! They seem to be the type of guest that are shady. That’s happened to me too😅

They are picking up these strategies somewhere. I refuse to play.  There is no negotiation with a hotel why would there be with Air bnb? I would rather stay empty, save the wear and tear and drop the utilities for a short time.  Less headaches that way. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Hala67 

I agree ! Every rule has exception but in general they are not among the best guests.

Do not let this type of guest take advantage of you!

If a guest likes some listing, the guest must also like its price.

There are some travel blogs that give wrong tips to travellers about Airbnb. They recommend to ask for a discount. 

Airbnb is a website where travelers can compare accommodation and make their choices according to their preferences and budget. It does not make sense to pester hosts by sending spam.
Once in a while I see even some "copy and paste" type messages asking for a discount. Some guys who do this usually send several messages to several hosts.

Georgiann1
Level 2
Easley, SC

I have as well been receiving many price reduction requests. My theory is the lower the price the higher the problems. All I can guess is that a FB group is generating these ideas. Tell me what you think.