Primary Guest Exchange

Robert8432
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Primary Guest Exchange

Hi All ,

I wanted to ask all other people in the Hosting  community.

If you've ever had a situation where the primary guest exchanges for their own guest? 

As this has happened to me for the first time and I didn't know what to think or do about it , or indeed how it effected my insurance with Abnb .

As it all happened a bit late notice. 

Has anyone else been in a situation where by the primary has turned around last minute and told you as the host that they would be just staying the one night out of the fortnight, but be leaving their guest to look after the tenancy? 

For me I was torn as I'm aware Abnb have a duty of care to ensure any guest is vetted essentially and accountabile therefore for their actions.

Logically, I assumed the Primary is Vicariously accountable for their guest, if anything were to happen.

I didn't charge for 2 people as the primary only stayed the one night , but I did make sure there were 2 beds by buying a sofa bed for the second guest assuming they were going to stay for the full term. 

Please let me know your thoughts ...

Kind Regards 

Rob

7 Replies 7
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Robert8432  I am in NC, USA.  I am permitted under our local laws to include the following statement in my rental agreement:

ASSIGNMENT AND MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY: Guest represents themselves to be an adult 25 years or older who has a place of permanent residence to which they intend to return. Guest shall not assign this agreement or sublet the property in whole or in part. Guest must take and maintain possession of the subject property for the full lease period.

AirBnB does not allow third party rentals, but a guest who stays one night and leaves their guests in residence for the remainder of the booking is trying to "get around" those rules.  

Robert8267
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thank you for this , my response was: 

**Subject: Important Information Regarding Your Current Stay**

Dear [Primary Guest's Name],

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to touch base regarding your current stay at [Your Property Name].

Firstly, thank you for choosing to stay with us! To ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience, I wanted to remind you of a few important details:

1. **Guest Policy**: As outlined in our listing, our property can accommodate up to [number] guests. I understand that there is an additional guest, [Additional Guest's Name], staying with you. Please ensure that Airbnb is notified of this change to ensure full coverage under their insurance policy. Transparency with Airbnb is key to maintaining coverage and accountability.

2. **Extra Bed and Bedding**: To accommodate your additional guest, I have brought in an extra bed and bedding. This required some time and effort to arrange, and I hope it will make your stay more comfortable.

3. **Additional Guest Fee**: To cover the additional costs incurred, there will be a small fee of [amount] per night for the extra guest. This fee helps us provide the necessary amenities and maintain the quality of our service.

4. **Primary Guest Accountability**: As the primary guest, you are responsible for the actions of all guests staying at the property. This includes any damages or violations of house rules. We trust that you will ensure all guests respect our property and neighborhood.

5. **Insurance Coverage**: For your peace of mind, our property is covered by Airbnb’s Host Guarantee and Host Protection Insurance. However, it is crucial that all guests are declared to ensure full coverage. Please inform Airbnb of the additional guest's details as soon as possible.

6. **House Rules**: Please take a moment to review our house rules, which are designed to ensure a comfortable stay for everyone. These rules are available in our listing and will be reiterated upon your arrival.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions or need to make any changes to your booking, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your attention to these matters, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay!

Best regards,

Obviously took some artistic licence using co pilot for structural engineering but I feel I hit all the points required. 

Your thoughts are most welcome, thank you.

Rob

It still neglects to mention them leaving the guest there , but . I've nailed all the other points required as diplomatically as possible I feel. 

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Robert8432 

Personally I would not have had a problem with it, and hopefully you concluded this stay without issue. However, I agree with you that in the unlikely event of a dispute or damage their may have been a problem, either with Aircover or with private insurance.

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Robert8432 

Personally on my listing I disclose I do not accept unnamed guests.  I don't the primary guest besides a few emails so I just don't know who this unnamed person is in my property.

I request all guests have an Airbnb account and be invited to the reservation.  Then my instructions are to the group assisting me in insuring no one can say I didn't know important rules or check out time.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Robert8432 we are quite chilled about this as long as the guest is honest with us. Some say Aircover doesnt apply for 3rd party bookings but I have never seen this in writing and do not know how it would work for self check in when the host has no idea who has turned up.

@Mike-And-Jane0  @Robert8432 

I am sorry but it must be pointed out how do I know someone om the internet is being honest traveling with their cousin or being dishonest giving a stranger they don't even know full access to my property?  Invited guests don't guarantee me anything but someone not being honest is probably going to ignore m with rules when many Hosts don't have rules.