Providing paper plates, cups, etc.?

Providing paper plates, cups, etc.?

Just wondering if hosts should provide the following:

- paper plates, cups, bowls, plastic utentsils? 

- cereal for breakfast? 

- milk?

- eggs? 

- fruits? 

9 Replies 9

We provide a light breakfast - fresh fruit, prepackaged (fancy) oatmeal (trying to be COVID conscious), and some home baked goodies like biscotti, along with other snacks.  We don't provide any items that expire like milk or eggs.  

We don't provide any paper plates or plastic utensils as we're trying to be earth-friendly.  We don't have a dishwasher but no one has complained about washing dishes.  

I don't know how much it plays into peoples decision to stay with us, but most people don't eat the breakfast, so it ends up costing us very little.  (And any fruit that doesn't get eaten I find other uses for so things rarely go to waste.)

My guests have access to plenty of real cups, plates and utensils, so there’s no need for disposable ones. I used to provide disposable coffee cups and lids so guests can make a cup of coffee to go, but I’ve stopped that. I guess you’re thinking that providing disposable products would be a convenience for your guests, but people who use these things use them all the time; you will end up with a mountain of trash at the end of their stay. 

I’m within walking distance of plenty of places for guests to have breakfast, or to buy food to make their own. I provide just enough for coffee and a snack before they go out in the morning:

- Keurig coffee machine with K-cups

- Various types of milk/non dairy creamer

- breakfast bars

- mandarin/clementine oranges (easy to peel)

- bananas

- soft drinks

For your property I would think a basket of fruit with a bag of coffee beans and small containers of milk/non diary creamer would be a nice welcome. I imagine if someone is going to book a property like yours, they would know enough to bring their own food. If they didn’t, you have provided enough for them to have a light breakfast before they go out to the supermarket. 

@Lana772  There are a few situations in which offering breakfast as an amenity has genuine value to Airbnb guests when they're deciding where to book:

-  Host lives onsite and can supply fresh breakfast daily as part of the B&B experience

-  Home location has no shops or cafes within a comfortable distance

-  Property is a working farm that can treat guests to its produce

Your listing doesn't seem to match any of these criteria, so I don't see a good reason to stock the home with perishable goods that might go unused. I also don't see a practical purpose for disposable plates or cups.  People do universally appreciate complimentary tea and coffee, and a few dry goods to eat in the pantry if they need a quick bite before they've had a chance to stock their own food. If it fits your price point, perhaps consider a surprise gift basket with local treats instead of creating the expectation of daily breakfast.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

I don't supply disposables
I do have coffee cups, they, oil, salt herbs.
We have a fridge. Shops are 10-minute walk.
On special request, I have provided breakfast once. Never again. Too much hassle.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Lana772  I don't see a reason to supply disposable plates/utensils if you are/can give them the real thing.

We leave individual packaged oatmeal.  It isn't gourmet but it is easy for guests if they want something quick, inexpensive and has a long shelf life.

We did at one point leave fruit, and once in a while if someone has a long stay we leave oranges or lemons/limes [do not attract insects], but we found when we were leaving apples/pears that almost no one ate them.

I wouldn't leave milk because people are too picky these days about what they want...cow/oat/almond, whole/1/2%/skim.  But I know some hosts do.

We leave coffee, an assortment of teas, hot chocolate, spices, oil, vinegar and some other condiments.

*For guests staying 3 or more nights we also leave some kind of gift, usually a cake or cookies on the last night.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lana772   We do not provide anything disposable; we have plenty of dishes and silverware for several meals and a dishwasher.  Because of our local bed and breakfast rules, which would require inspections and more paperwork, we do not provide any food items beyond an assortment of spices, salt and pepper, sugar and dry creamer.  Our guests have to drive past a large full-service 24 hour grocery store on their way in, so we recommend that they stop there either before check in or after they have gone out to dinner at one of our local restaurants.

Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Lana772  @Anonymous 

We are mindful of trash and using non reusable/recyclable items. Guests would not approve of paper and plasticware either, it is not a throwaway culture here. We provide a picnic basket with dishes, glasses, silverware and linens. In the Guest Wing we provide ample dishes, glassware and silverware, cloth napkins and towels, a fridge, microwave, kettle, coffeemaker and all the gear for preparing from coffee beans. We are miles from a grocery store, and advise guests to stock up on the way. We give locations of shops, and recommend a variety of quality restaurants with takeout menus. We provide enough of everything so that they don't have to leave for breakfast, and since they normally bring the rest, they can totally relax here and get the benefit of quality time out. That includes dairy and non dairy milks, yogurt, packaged cereals, bottled juices, a selection of coffees, teas, fruit. When we have fresh fruit and vegetables from our organic gardens we are delighted to share. We are a home share, so they can use our full kitchen, with all our personal condiments, cookware, knives, etc. We've stocked condiments and cookware for various ethnic dishes, as well as a tabletop grill that they can use outdoors. We've found over the years that our guests are respectful and appreciative. They clean our kitchen to immaculate condition, which is how they find it. We've yet to find anything missing, and only twice has stemware been broken - that equals two wine glasses we've replaced in 9 years.  

Nash-Cottages-LLC0
Level 10
Nashville, TN

@Lana772 We don't offer disposable plates, etc., nor the items you listed. We offer tea and coffee, sugar and honey, and a couple of water bottles as it does get hot and humid here in the summer. We want folks to take those bottles with them, refill them and stay hydrated. 

We used to offer creamer to go with the coffee and ended up tossing so much of it away (ok, emptying the containers in the garden and then recycling the containers) that we stopped doing it. No one has said anything about it. The exception to our creamer/milk rule is repeat guests we know will use them. But, we do have a grocery store that is a 5-minute walk away, so it is easy enough for guests to grab those items. 

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Lana772  supply eggs , half and half, creamer in the little pods, oatmeal, usually a box of pancake mix and maple syrup, oatmeal, coffee, sugar , honey, spices, bag of popcorn and a few candies.  I can tell that the pancakes and eggs are usually eaten.  I just think that it’s so nice to wake up in a place and relax and enjoy, not have to worry about going out. 

I do supply paper products but they are rarely used.  One thing used more than I thought are paper napkins, I also supply linen napkins and placemats.