Reporting a host

Andrea4538
Level 1
Louis Trichardt, South Africa

Reporting a host

Hi. 
I recently had a negative experience with a host. I submitted a complaint to he about the condition of his property. After being verbally abusive I sent him photos to prove my complaint. He backed down and apologised for the situation. He then offered me a small refund which I accepted. However, since then he has refused to send me the refund until I leave him positive feedback. I do not think this is acceptable and must be against Airbnb rules. How do I bring this to their attention?

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Andrea4538 

From the policy:

"You are not allowed to incentivize positive reviews, to use the threat of a negative review to manipulate a desired outcome, or to influence another’s review with the promise of compensation."

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Andrea4538 As long as everything is messaged through Airbnb you should be fine. Just report the host for extorting a good review

@Andrea4538  as @Emiel1 and @Mike-And-Jane0  have pointed out, the host's actions constitute review extortion. If you want to report the host, you can open the message the thread, locate the message where he demanded a positive review in exchange for money, and click the little Flag icon to initiate a complaint. I don't know what the end result of that will be; if there have been other complaints, the host might get de-listed, but maybe it will just vanish down the memory hole. 

What most likely won't happen is that you get the refund your host tentatively offered you. He has neither an incentive nor a contractual obligation to throw money at you. If the state of the property was so poor that you were unable to complete your stay, you would have been entitled to a refund for the nights unused after you relocated (granted, it's really hard to get through to CS these days to enact that). 

But a reasonable complaint can only have two goals: a) the host make the necessary repairs to fix the problem, or b) you are able to cancel the booking and leave the property. These days, a lot of people seem entranced by an imaginary third option, in which you get a free or discounted stay by complaining about something that's no longer possible to fix. That one is a dead-end street.

Rachel1777
Level 1
Hewitt, TX

I booked/paid/uploaded ID docs on Sunday for an overnight stay on Friday.  On Wednesday during the day I received an email stating she needed my id docs by 5 . . it was now 7p. Thursday morning there was an email telling me room was cancelled for “breaking the rules and not supplying her the info she had been requesting for weeks” and here’s my money back.  I told the host i had supplied her the info just 2 days ago, this crummy and she should get a bad review.  She THEN said “you try that and I will flip a fraud alert on you and everyone you listed in your party”. Dont use Robin at Gensis property in Galveston Tx.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Rachel1777 Where did you upload your ID? If it was to Airbnb then they do not pass this on to the host. There could be a big misunderstanding here I am afraid.

Nancy1504
Level 1
Syracuse, NY

How do I email Airbnb USA to report a host with detailed evidence ?

Nancy1504
Level 1
Syracuse, NY

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

@Nancy1504  This is not the appropriate place to report this. I have reported the content to be removed.